4 mile state park 2019 rally

Discussion in 'Rallies Being Planned' started by vagov, Jul 18, 2018.

date poll for 4 mile creek state park rally

Poll closed Sep 1, 2018.
  1. june 28-30

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. july 4-7

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. july 12-14

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Active Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Muskoka, Ontario
    I’m booked: 5 NTS; ARR Tues, DP Sun; Site 224

2. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    welcome pat, glad you will be joining us. i booked site 234 5 nights, tues- sunday, now just gotta figure out how im getting there 2 days earlier... [:D]

Strawhouse likes this.
  3. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    looks like the lake front loops book fast, if you want one, dont hesitate

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Another FYI.. it may have changed since I was there last (8 years ago..almost to the day) Mostly for Pat, but also for anyone else whom is use to having a water tank filling hose in the area of the dump station.. They did not, it was (2 of them from what I remember) only a dump station.. To fill your on board tank, just pull up beside one of the spigots located throughout the park, so yes, you may want to carry a 10ft water hose with you. It has been awhile so this info may be out dated..

Another thing, and I'll check with a friend about this (think he was at 4msp this past weekend) is in the City of Niagara Fall (NY) there are two City run pools, Free for use by anyone, just have to fill out the sign in sheet.

Your Parks vehicle pass will get the driver and vehicle into many of the attractions on the U.S side either free or reduced rate, i.e. Fort Niagara (I understand you can also get free or cheap swimming in the pool here too), Caves of the Winds, Goat Island (parking).

Also make sure you Google map street view the route to get from Niagara Falls (NY) to the campground.. it gets tricky around the Queenston/Lewiston bridge area... If your in the wrong lane, better hope you have your passports, trust me almost ended up back in Canada more then once.

Lastly for this FYI (probably be more as I remember things, or the mind gets joggled by a comment here) That are is rich in History, some defined both our Countries, some is rather menacing ... There is a reason why a barely used highway was built on the 1940's out of concrete.. :D:eek::rolleyes:o_O

Strawhouse likes this.
  5. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

Jul 18, 2015
    North Syracuse, New York
    Have to wait until tomorrow to book our site. Hoping to get 219.

6. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Active Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Thanks for the tips, Craig. Of course, you could just come and share your info at the rally. Otherwise, I just have to pump you for more info/recommendations at the KoTS and ON asummer rallies.

Snow likes this.
  7. Salandrew

Salandrew Member

Apr 27, 2016
    Bolivar, PA
    We are in! Reservations from Wednesday the 10th thru Sunday. We are in site 236!! Yeah!!!!

8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    I have to try and get vacation for our own rally first and for Thanksgiving second...

9. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    glad your joining us Sally, we are neibors ! and hope you find a way to make it as well graig!

10. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Have to try and tie it into a longer trip.. Since moving 4 hours further North of the boarder it now becomes a 6-7 hour trip one way.. Perhaps I should aim at 2 weeks off (for me that = 23-25 days) and continue on to Letchworth after... hmmmm have to wait until November for vacation bid to start..

11. daveo1289

daveo1289 Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Rochester NY
    Hi all. I have been swapping e-mails with John (vagov) about some of the things about 4 mile. Sounds as if you all got some nice sites. The water sites are at a premium and I'm glad you got them. My family and I camp at the park twice a year. There are many things to do in the area as you all know. I'm just going to point out a few things for you all to know.
    The lakeshore was beat up by the weather and lake levels last year. Some of the sites to the east lost a bit of shore line. The park has put up fencing because of the unstable ground. Nothing to worry about though.
    The camp store was closed this year. Nearest store was in Lewiston. There was one in Youngstown but that closed this year also. May change next year.
    The swimming pool at Fort Niagara was open this year after a few years of repair. Your camping pass will get you into the park and I do believe the pool.
    Snow mentioned the "Concrete Highway". It's the Robert Moses Parkway and I think it's as old as Moses. It's very rough!! Especially from Lewiston to the park. Rt 18 is an alternative and it is a good route. It does go through some small towns and at a reduced speed.
    If anyone has any questions about the park and the area, let me know. As I mentioned, I go to the park twice a year and am only 90 miles away in Rochester. While I probably won't be able to make the rally, I'm trying to see if I can make the ride to the park to say, "Hi".

JunkyBurrittos likes this.
  12. JunkyBurrittos

JunkyBurrittos Active Member

Mar 18, 2017
    Central MA
    Hi Daveo, thank you for all your tips!

It sounds like you were suggesting taking 18 from Lewiston, but my iPad is giving me an alternate route cutting through Rochester and taking 390 up to the lake and tracing the shoreline westbound on 18. Would this be a good way to go, or would it be fraught with traffic in the summer? Thank you!

13. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    looking on reserve america, looks like lake front site 230 is now gone, is that one of us

14. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

Jul 18, 2015
    North Syracuse, New York
    Just reserved site 219! Looking forward to our first rally!

JunkyBurrittos likes this.
  15. daveo1289

daveo1289 Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Rochester NY
    The info I had given is from Lewiston to 4 mile as you figured out. coming from the east as you are, your I-pad is correct. But you will want to take 390 to the end and connect to the Lake Ontario Parkway and go west. it's about a 45 minute drive from that interchange to the end of the parkway. The parkway ends at Lakeside Beach SP. Once there, you'll pick up Rt 18 west and stay on that until you reach 4 Mile. Once on 18, it's will take another 30-45 minutes to reach the park. One thing. When you get close to the park, with in a mile of it, There will be an entrance to the Robert Moses Parkway. Do not get on it. Stay on Rt 18. My first time out there, I got on the parkway and went about 5 miles out of my way. Hope this helps.

16. JunkyBurrittos

JunkyBurrittos Active Member

Mar 18, 2017
    Central MA
    Awesome Daveo, thank you. I see now that it’s not 18 the whole way. FYI my app does indicate it would be about 10 minutes shorter approaching from the west (via Niagara Scenic Parkway), but this just seemed like it might be more scenic or interesting, plus who knows how long an alternate route from the west might take). I’m not sure if this route is in fact scenic at all, I just like being near the water!

Any tips for rest/eating stops on this route with super easy parking while hitched up? It sounds like it really is a distance and once I’ve left Rochester I’m definitely not in the home stretch!

Thanks again for your help. I hope you can make it out to visit!

17. daveo1289

daveo1289 Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Rochester NY
    JunkyBurrittos, you will be traveling right along lake Ontario all the way from Rochester to Lakeside Park. On Rt 18, it will take you through some small towns such as Olcott and Wilson. Both of those towns have places for food and are on the lake. We stop in Olcott for a break every time we go west. There is a town park with restrooms which are quite clean. There is a small restaurant called Park Place right next to the park. It's just a right turn off Rt 18. Easy to get off and back on 18. There is parking for the TV and camper there too.
    I assume that you will be driving in to NY along the Thruway which is Rt 90. I looked at an alternate exit at Rt 78. But with my memory, that would take you through many more small towns and traffic and no where near the lake until you reach Rt 18 in Olcott. Personally, if you want the scenic route as I would, I'd stay with Rt 18. Just a small heads up. There is a town called Barker a tad west of Golden Hill SP. The speed limit is 30 through the town on 18. From personal experience, respect it. The town has one cop and he really likes to keep an eye on that area. My sil, who is a federal cop, got stopped in the town for doing 37 in his marked car. No ticket but a warning from the local.

18. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    welcome fourhallatts!! looking on reserve america 41 0ut of 60 sites left in the 200 section.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018 at 9:53 AM