5 wire harness with 4 flat plug spliced in?

Discussion in 'Etrailer.com Trailers and Towing Forum' started by FishOn Outfitters, Apr 30, 2017.

1. FishOn Outfitters

FishOn Outfitters New Member

Apr 28, 2017
    Picked up a used pup in great condition. Cleaning it up and replacing weathered stuff I cut the tape.off the harness to the TV plug and notice a heavier gauge black wire that was cut and just taped over making it a 5 wire harness. Someone crimped in a 4 flat plug. There is no battery on the camper. No electric brakes. Everything works when plugged into 120v. No owners manual (1999 Thor Skamper 17B). No owners manual for the converter (Centurion CS2000) and can't find much info on the internet about either.
    Is it possible that the heavier black wire was tied into a round 5 prong that fed off the TV battery to run the 12v items in the trailer? Any ideas are appreciated

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    Your assumption about the wire being 12 volt from the TV is certainly very likely.
    Someone just wired the trailer for lights.

FishOn Outfitters likes this.
  3. FishOn Outfitters

Apr 28, 2017
    I think so. The black wire does split off and run up to the converter.
    Was it common to run off the TV for 12v? I would guess I could add a battery and run the wire there and ground the battery. Would I need to add an inline fuse between the battery and black wire? What amp?
    I will have to wait for better weather to pull it out of the garage open it up and make sure the black wire is actually running to the 12v side of the power supply.

4. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
  5. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    It is common for the black wire to charge the battery not run the camper.

6. FishOn Outfitters

Apr 28, 2017
    Thanks for the info.

7. etrailerJohn

etrailerJohn Member

Apr 19, 2016
    Wentzville, MO