91 Starcraft Meteor build

Discussion in 'Taking Your Camper Off Road' started by Psifanboy, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Psifanboy

Psifanboy New Member

Jun 24, 2018
    good morning everyone one. I recently been looking for campers and was planning on building a offroad teardrop but my neighbor gave me a Starcraft Meteor for free last week. It was damage from hail about 4 years ago and some dents were actually pierced so figured the inside was trashed. Opened it up and not a single water spot or mold or anything but some bugs. Got it all cleaned up and installed a AC window unit, bought new laminated flooring and paint. The Gf and I have been wanting to do some overlanding or boondocking so going to make this so i can haul it almost anywhere. Plan to make a new frame with 5K axle with brakes and extend it up front about 4' for storage. Started making a ABS black pipe water system with air valve so itll have some pressure. got the AC and DC all working about will be coverting my Propane valve over this weekend to new style. Plan is to get it livable first then start making the suspension mods. our first trip is planned mid Aug.

Well here is some pics of it so far.
    [​IMG]

after a good clean up
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AC install. not sure about this set up yet.. my compressor keeps shutting off so not sure if its from the heat inside box or just bad. going to open the top and just let it run and see if thats the issue. its vented on the back with a 12"x12" vent
    [​IMG]
    The tow rig for now. also building a 86 M1009 Military K5 with a 6.0 ls and 37s with dana 44/14bolt
    [​IMG]

This area will be my electrical box. all dc and ac components, solar and batteries.
    [​IMG]

2. Psifanboy

Psifanboy New Member

Jun 24, 2018
    ac box
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Looking good!

Psifanboy likes this.
  4. Psifanboy

Psifanboy New Member

Jun 24, 2018
    not much work was done just painting. got first and 2nd coat of paint on this is the first coat
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

already looks way better. going to remake the counter tops in like a natural wood.

I was having issues with ac in that box it would run for 10 min than the compressor would shut down. Guessing it was getting to hot inside of that box so i cut a hole on the top to help it get air and seems to be doing alot better. it gets cooler in there even with all the hot air coming from that hole. Plan to make vent to the outside that can be removed easily. should be starting on flooring today or tom.

5. Psifanboy

Psifanboy New Member

Jun 24, 2018
    well got the interior almost done. flooring turned out decent for winging it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Overland and jnc like this.
  6. Overland

Overland Member

May 1, 2013
    Bristol, Pa
    Looking good! Look fwd to following along..

Psifanboy likes this.
  7. Psifanboy

Psifanboy New Member

Jun 24, 2018
    thanks been putting a list together for my suspension. not quote sure if i want to do a DIY solid axle with leaves or go with a trailing arm set up on bags. i can fab up the arms pretty easy but im afraid the stock frame wont hold so will prolly end up making another frame to weld to existing frame if i go that route. Im just going to do a torsion spacer for now to clear a little bigger tire. hopefully i can get started on that tonight. got the trim and cushions recovered yesterday. looks good but didnt take any pics

8. Psifanboy

Psifanboy New Member

Jun 24, 2018
    my other two projects take up alot of my time lol
    The tow rig for it is far from being done. its a 86 M1009 k5 that has been abused. got a 6.0 ls and some 1tons for it. its going to be green again hopefully soon
    [​IMG]

my other blazer. 1200hp turbo ls s10 blazer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    doesnt look anything like bottom pics new wheels and a little better stance now

hq308 likes this.
  9. Psifanboy

Psifanboy New Member

Jun 24, 2018
    the cushions are wrapped and the camper is on jack stands to install lift.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

COCONUTS lol
    [​IMG]

Axle out of it. will be working on this tonight.
    [​IMG]

jnc likes this.
  10. Psifanboy

Psifanboy New Member

Jun 24, 2018
    got it jacked up last night. it should clear a decent 14" wheel and tire under that is rated at 81 mph now. Going to brace the spacer with some lateral bars and a bar in front of it like a slider. This just temporary until i do a trailing arm set up. Was pretty straight forward. basically welded 2x3 and a 2x4 and drill holes to mount the axle to blocks. going to attach it to the frame tonight using plates and bolts. might weld it just to be sure it doesn't move. will square it up and make sure nice and straight before attaching to frame. probably lifted it maybe 5" will check tonight.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

sits up good now. will build a new step to get in it.
    [​IMG]

Overland likes this.