97 Coleman Taos

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by v1ru5879, Jun 4, 2019.

1. v1ru5879

v1ru5879 Member

I got this secondhand last year. Was getting ready to start prepping for this year and noticed the wiring is looking pretty brittle and needs replacing. I am assuming this is all 8 gauge right? Would I just get the proper connectors and rerun the wiring and add some loom over the wires? Seems pretty straight forward but is there anything I should know before doing this? Anything you all would recommend I do. Or is there a harness already made I could purchase? By the way the wiring I am talking about, that I have noticed so far is from the tongue back (4 pin and battery wiring)

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

You're talking about two separate wiring harnesses. The one from the 4 pin is for the exterior lighting. It is all probably 16 or 18 gauge. The wiring from the battery to the convertor is probably 8 gauge.

I'm really surprised you have 4-pin with a battery. Normally you would have a 7-pin. One of the pins on the 7 pin will charge the battery while connected to the tow vehicle.

3. v1ru5879

v1ru5879 Member

We purchased second hand without a battery on the trailer. From what I can tell the 4 pin is what came on the pup. I'm working on a plan for adding a battery. Not sure if I wanna do a solar setup or have a generator to recharge the batteries or a generator to power the whole thing. Just know they wiring needs some attention

4. v1ru5879

v1ru5879 Member

I purchased a 4 pin to replace the current one but I also noticed that where it connects to the camper the wiring that goes into the frame and the battery wiring is also pretty crappy. How would I go about replacing the 4 pinharness that goes into the frame? I was happy to be able to find a much shorter 4 pin than what was originally used so I don't have a bunch extra wiring to tape down like before. I'm hoping this won't be a PITA to do. Gonna pull it out of the barn and closer to the garage to start prepping it for this season. I just got my tarp trackers in today so I am getting more motivated.

5. v1ru5879

v1ru5879 Member

trailer wiring.jpg trailer wiring 1.jpg trailer wiring 2.jpg Looks like the battery connection was also rigged here is a picture of what the current harness is looking like

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019