A/C keeps popping the breaker....I think

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Amaryllis, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Amaryllis

Amaryllis New Member

Sep 4, 2018
    I have a 1990 Jayco J series 1006. A/C turns on (plugged to 30amp). But after running for a few minutes the little white Reset button near the fuses pops and A/C stops. I push the button in and it starts back up. Any ideas??

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    It sounds like your compressor is locked up....When it tries to start, it trips the breaker.

3. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Active Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    Is it cooling any while it is running? I assume the reset, you speak of, is the breaker on the converter?

4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    You might want to install a hard start kit, also low voltage can cause the compressor to overeat and lock up. If you are using an extension cord it might not be large enough to carry the amperage and cause a low voltage problem.

5. Amaryllis

Amaryllis New Member

Sep 4, 2018
    It is cooling. The reset button is on the same panel as the fuses.

6. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    , also low voltage can cause the compressor to overeat and lock up. If you are using an extension cord it might not be large enough to carry the amperage and cause a low voltage problem.[/QUOTE]
    If you are using an extension cord. make sure its at least 12 gauge. the smaller cords will not carry the needed amps. With a small gauge cord volts will decrease and amp draw will increase causing the breaker to trip

7. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Are you plugged in to a 30 amp plug or using an adapter? Campsite or home, basically. Do you have other things on?

8. Amaryllis

Amaryllis New Member

Sep 4, 2018
    Adapter into 30. Rv site. This happens with nothing else on.

9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Just a few questions, the camper is 30 amp? What type of adaptor is needed when hooked into a 30 amp service? It should just plug in? Am i missing something? Or is it one of those special cords that has the surge protection in it? I would directly connect rhe ac, to rule out the rest of the ellectrical system? Is it plugged in? Rule out one system at a time.

10. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Either the adaptor or the pole could be having issues. If you have a heavy duty extension you could try plugging the AC in directly to see if its an issue in the converter or not.

11. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Have you measured the CG voltage at the pole? Do you have an amp meter/ And if so how many amps is the A/C pulling

12. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

May 21, 2015
    What model is your power center/converter? A picture of it would help. Do you have a heavy 10 gauge shore power cord with a 30 amp plug or a 12 gauge with a 15/20 amp plug?

13. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Im assuming a 30 amp, as the ac needs 20 amps itself?

14. Amaryllis

Amaryllis New Member

Sep 4, 2018
    Thank you all so much for all your questions and ideas! This forum is great! To update everyone: We bought our pup a month ago (or so) and we are total newbies. I’ve researched them and tried to learn as much as I could for 7 months prior to buying. We knew we were buying old and knew it would need fixing up. What we found was that the a/c unit was not installed at factory. Whoever installed it didn’t really know what they were doing and the wiring was a hot mess. The way to get power to the a/c was to plug in the pup at the meter and then plug the a/c to the outlet in pup. Because the wiring was shitty and the power wasn’t enough it kept popping. What we are going to do is re-wire it properly when we get it home (brother is an electrician). For now we are getting a splitter that will allow both plugs to get power at the same time from meter.

15. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    Usually the A/C has a dedicated breaker designed for A/C. You mentioned that the A/C was not factory installed. I cannot use electric griddle and coffee kettle at the same time or breaker will trip. I use separate cord for coffee kettle and electric griddle plugged at exterior electric socket. I had A/C with both previous popups and noticed that A/C used separate and dedicated socket from other electric outlets.

jmkay1 likes this.
  16. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Like Halford my AC uses a separate dedicated electrical outlet on a separate circuit in the converter. All the rest of the outlets in the camper use the other circuit. When I run the AC I find I cannot use this outlet for anything else or I could trip the breaker. Also, you mentioned you used an adapter to plug into the 30 amps. Does your camper have a 30 amps connector or a regular house hold electrical plug?