a good tile for accents in campers

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by penny, Feb 7, 2019.

1. penny

penny Active Member

Nov 9, 2017
    I usually put some kind of peel and stick tile behind the stove and sink. Our new camper, as most, didn't come with any grease/water/ick protection. I've found a nice (but pricey) tile that works really well in this spot. it is real stone, shaved into thin layers, bonded to a resin, then fiberglass baking. I like the way it looks and it is easy to install. It is not cheap. at $16 a sq. ft, I hesitated. but Lowes has it for $47 for 4 sq ft. still spensive, but I only needed one package to do this

kitchen.jpeg kitchen.jpeg

It is "Aspect weathered quartz peel and stick backsplash" they really give the look of contemporary stacked stone.

My husband said not to get the "gummy jellie stick on tiles"
    they are fine with me, but I like these better. I think I now officially like my camper better than my house.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    neighbormike, Sjm9911 and kitphantom like this.
  2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Looks really nice, you did a good job putting it up too. Always nice to get thru with a job and see how nice it looks. God Luck and happy Camping

3. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Looks nice

4. penny

penny Active Member

Nov 9, 2017
    thanks! I guess it's a sign of longing to go camping.

5. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

May 8, 2018
    Central Florida
    I wonder if anyone has tried the vinyl flooring as a backboard cover instead, in a camper. Some of those have nice designs. Can't hurt to try, and possiblya less weighty than a tile. We PUPers don't get to have backsplashes usually-- it's called canvas.

6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    It looks great.

7. penny

penny Active Member

Nov 9, 2017
    thanks, I thought about vinyl tile too, and in fact once used it for a bit of countertop that covered a folding shower in a pop up we had. it didn't stick as well to a vertical surface as it does to a floor. the stuff I bought isn't really tile, it isn't heavy at all, it is about equal or lighter than a vinyl floor tile. the "rock" is fractions of a millimeter thick and bonded to a sticky backing.

I know what you mean about canvas backsplash! all my pop us have had the clear window material behind the stove though. and that's easily wiped clean!

8. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

May 8, 2018
    Central Florida
    It looks very nice, by the way.

9. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    That is much nicer looking than the crap the manufacturers are using in a lot of trailers!

10. penny

penny Active Member

Nov 9, 2017
    thanks! This is the first camper we have bought that doesn't have major things to fix. We have always bought old ones and at least updated the interior. With a 2016 in like new condition, I find myself just fiddling around out there, looking for ways to improve it. It is a hobby at this point. no leaks, everything works, plenty of room, etc.

at first I didn't like the layout of a table in front of a sofa type seating area. Now I do like it. it gives a larger feel to the space that might feel too crowded with a typical dinette arrangement. I've given up the idea of changing the bed to a fold out bed. I think someday we will change the kitchen counter top, as it is the same cheap particle board with vinyl coating. but I won't do that till it's necessary.

I'd much rather be CAMPING in it!

neighbormike likes this.