A weekend of winching

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by generok, Jun 4, 2018.

1. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    So, this weekend we boondocked out at our site where we were setting up out bait station. We got on the side-by-side, got within 100 yards of the station, and had a small stream crossing. We got stuck, which isn't unusual, so we begin to winch out... the winch cable breaks. Now, THAT is unusual! So, DW and I walk out of the tundra to the road, flag down some nice folks, and get unstuck. With no winch cable, the station is too risky, so back to the campsite, flip on the genny and watch a movie, have fire and enjoy a picture perfect day. Denali was out, and the weather was perfect!
    20180602_181737.jpg 20180603_154357.jpg
    That's the winch cable...

So, Sunday rolls around, and time to go home. We go around a mud soft spot in the middle of the road, and then...

20180603_100441.jpg 20180603_100450.jpg 20180603_100505.jpg

The shoulder was so soft it completely blew out and pulled the trailer with it. A couple hours of winching with dual 8,000 lbs winches, and we got it back on the road with amazingly minor damage. The only casualty was the stairs, and I am fairly sure I can bend them back in place again. They still work, but they are very stiff. But, it could have been much worse. We got back on the road a few hours late but we got home.

We're taking next weekend off.

Goodgollyjosh, J Starsky and jnc like this.
  2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Talk about hard luck, it sounds and looks like lady luck abandoned ya'll. Must have been one heck of a pull for the winch cable that size snapping. However sounds like everything managed to work out
    for you. Ever Day Camping is an Adventure and it has proven true for you. Thanks for sharing the pictures of your adventure :) Good Luck and Keep on Camping

3. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Seeing your trailer like that made me cringe!! How was camping in the new unit?

4. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Active Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Houghton MI
    On our work UTV, we've broke the cable on its 4000lb winch multiple times. Glad to hear you two got out and home.

5. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Wow! Glad you got the trailer out without major damage!

6. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Busting cables is part of the game. If you never brake anything your not playing right.

7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I have an offroading buddy, this is exactly what he said. Followed by, that is part of the fun of it.

To the OP it looks like it was quite an adventure. Glad everything worked out despite a few more dings and bents.

8. crackerJack

crackerJack Active Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Scottsville, KY
    I tell DW on days like that. Someday we will remember this and laugh about it.

Glad you didn’t have any real damage.

generok likes this.
  9. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    Absolutely LOVE it! I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner. DW loves it too. The PUP was "my" camper, she came along. But with the TT, she is totally engaged in getting stuff, setting it up, stocking it and even filling the LP tanks! I have to admit, baking cookies after dinner is kinda nice.

10. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Baking cookies under Denali. What else could you want in life?

11. soft 17

soft 17 Active Member

Mar 14, 2017
    San Luis Obispo
    FWIW you can learn to back braid a loop in steel cable pretty easily. It might save you someday if you ever snap another winch cable.

12. silverfz

silverfz Member

Aug 8, 2013
    Did you have the polaris in the camper. What great area to explore on a ATV while camping.