(AB) Writing on Stone PP

Discussion in 'Alberta' started by allofus, Aug 28, 2009.

1. allofus

allofus New Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Alberta Canada
    Anyone been here? It looks really nice on the AB reservation sysytem, until I saw the brochure on rattlesnakes. I'd be worried about the kids...(and me!)

Any thoughts?
    Linda

2. leslieg

leslieg New Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Just there. It's an awesome campground. The kids have a great time floating down the river, some just in lifejackets (no raft!).
    Campsites are large and surrounded by trees. Lots of hiking on the "hoodoos".
    I wouldn't worry too much about the rattlesnakes. They are poisonous, but not the really dangerous kind you see on tv. There isn't alot of deep grass at the PP to worry about. We were camped on the Oldman River in Lethbridge and at Writing on Stone and never saw a rattlesnake. Had more problems with raccoons!
    Go, and enjoy. Writing on Stone is definately one of my favorites!

3. Rob Steiner

Rob Steiner New Member

Aug 29, 2017
    Calgary
    We are going out this summer, I will make sure to put in a review. I haven't ever had an issue with a rattler, but they do require respect and some education for the kids.

4. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    Just teach the kids respect and some basic rules and they'll be fine:

Don't pick up a snake - baby rattlers don't rattle
    Use a long stick to poke under rocks, etc., not your hands
    Listen for the rattle
    If you see a rattler, back off so they can escape - they don't want to confront you

I live and camp in rattler territory. The only times I've run into one are: 1) when there was construction on the hill above my work and the rattlers came down to escape it; and 2) sunning in the middle of a trail - we turned around, when we came back a bit later it was gone.