adding brakes

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by lucky13don, Sep 8, 2017.

1. lucky13don

lucky13don Member

Jul 13, 2016
    sf bay area
    hello,so i have a 2001 jayco eagle 10 which didnt come with brakes. ive been looking on etrailer and am thinking about adding them. has anyone done this mod? if so how hard was it and any tips? thanks

2. phoodieman

phoodieman Member

May 18, 2009
    Hutto, Texas
    Depends on the axle. Look for a 4 bolt position plate behind the hub. If you have that then you are well on your way to putting brakes on the trailer. You will need a controller for inside the TV and will have to wire the trailer back to the hub if it isn't already in place. etrailer is a good way to go. Very good on line pricing.

Phoodieman

etrailerJohn and lucky13don like this.
  3. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    It can still be done if you don't have the flanges but you would need to buy the flanges and have them welded on. The alignment is rather important so someone has to know what they are doing. After that the job is not difficult or very technical just takes time.

lucky13don likes this.
  4. Drvred

Drvred Member

May 3, 2017
    My Coleman Mesa had the flanges and wiring already.
    I got my kit from R&P Carriages. Came with everything you need. Drums, backing plates, bearings,seals and mounting bolts. $179.99 delivered.
    Just measure your axle diameter, or find the plate on the axle.
    You can install them yourself in less than 1 hour.

5. Winchested

Winchested Member

Jun 19, 2015
    You're looking at $180+ just for the brakes.
    You're looking at $150-200 for a brake controller plus install.
    You then need to wire in a proper breakaway switch and or back up battery.
    You then need to make sure your 7 pin is wired for brakes on the trailer and the tow vehicle.

6. Drvred

Drvred Member

May 3, 2017
    You can get a Tekonsha P2 for around $100. If you are using a pickup for a tow vehicle, you may already be wired for a brake controller, and just need the adapter.
    And a breakaway kit is only around $40 and an easy installation if the trailer already has the brake wiring.

7. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    I would get a Tekonsha Primus IQ for about $70. We been using one for about 6 years. It was introduced about 6 years ago. It's has the latest braking logic and was introduced for the one or 2 axle trailer.

8. MD Saga

MD Saga Pop-up journeymen

May 31, 2011
    Maryland
    Not difficult if you have the flanges. I got the kit off ebay and it worked well on our old Viking Saga. Wired up the controller myself. Definitely was worth the effort.

9. etrailerJohn

etrailerJohn Member

Apr 19, 2016
    Wentzville, MO
    Adding brakes to your pup can seem pretty daunting, but if you're fairly handy and attack the job step by step, this is something you most likely can do yourself. Having the brake moutning flanges in place will make the install much simpler (most of the pup manufacturers were pretty good about using axles already equipped with the flanges). If the flanges need to be added, use a professional welder to do this, somebody who's familiar with trailer fabrication work. If the flanges aren't installed perfectly, your brakes will never work correctly.

Wiring the brakes is very basic, as is installing the brake controller if your TV is a full-size truck or SUV of recent manufacture. Most of the newer full-size trucks and SUV's offer connectors under the dash for a plug-and-play brake controller installation. The Tekonsha Primus IQ, the Prodigy P2 or Prodigy P3 are all excellent choices for a brake controller.

The Primus and the Prodigy P2 are function pretty identically, although the P2 is less picky about the angle at which it's installed and it's compatible witn electric over hydraulic braking systems. The P3 is also EOH compatible, but takes it a step further with a more user friendly display that most folks that aren't familiar with brake controller find very simple to use.

For more specific information and instructions, use the link below:

https://www.etrailer.com/expert-136.html

10. JaycoEagle

JaycoEagle New Member

Sep 7, 2014