Adding electrical equipment

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Fischymom, May 4, 2018.

1. Fischymom

Fischymom Active Member

Jul 28, 2017
    Totally new territory for me here, if I wanted to add a radio, speakers and a mini fridge to my camper do I need to change out my converter or add anything special? The camper did not come from factory with a fridge, heat, air or anything like that but it does have plugins. Basically worried and don't want to overload it.

2. lquinn1

lquinn1 Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Champaign, IL
    It really depends on what your camper is equipped with as far as a converter. Mini fridge is usually 110ac so it would run on what ever circuit you have available.
    A typical car stereo draws 10 amp max so you would be fine with any converter that is rated at 15 amp or higher. Once again this is tough to determine with out more information or pictures.

3. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    If you have the original converter, then my opinion is yes. Get a WFCO 8700 series power center. You'll be able to put that radio on its own DC circuit and the mini fridge could have its own AC circuit if you wanted it to.

Converters and power centers go bad. If yours is original then its 24 yrs old. The new converters will also charge a battery if you have one.

4. Fischymom

Fischymom Active Member

Jul 28, 2017
    This is the converter in currently.

Attached Files:

5. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    Then I'd definitely change it out to the new power center. I'd suggest a WFCO 8725. Not only will it give you the ability to have real breakers for the AC side, but it also will auto change between AC shore power and battery as needed, if you have a battery.

Here are the specs on the 8725.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Franklin, MA
    Magnetek? Ditch that ancient heap. WFCO 8725, 8730. No brainer. Don't look back.

7. lquinn1

lquinn1 Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Champaign, IL
    I agree with the above but be aware that you should upgrade your plugin cord to a 30 Amp service if upgrading to these panels to prevent overloading a 15 amp service.

8. Brian P

Brian P New Member

Sep 5, 2017
    Oregon
    So I have the Magnetek 6612 and it works fine but I would like to replace it with a converter that also charges. I was looking at the WFCO 8735 as I cannot find the 8730. The specs say its a 35 amp converter. Will that be ok to use? And I like that the Parallax 6730 says its a direct fit but I don't believe it charges?

9. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    WFCO doesn't make a 30amp power center in the 8700 series. It is perfectly ok to use a bigger one. I put the 8740 (40 means 40amps) in both my Palomino and in my latest Coleman. Having more DC power available is not an issue. Install the 8735. It will be fine.

Brian P likes this.
  10. mpking

mpking Active Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    On a related note, I've found a bluetooth speaker and some MP3's stored on my phone (so i don't use dataplan) much more reliable than any FM radio station I can tune in on the included radio in my Rockwood. Better sound as well.