Adding rack to roof of camper

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by Checkered24, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Checkered24

Checkered24 New Member

Jul 25, 2012
    I am looking to add a two bar rack to the top of my pop up. However, I do have a challenge in mounting it, which I am looking to get some insight on.

The edges of the roof on my 94 Coleman Columbia are curved. There is some hard wood material underneath the aluminum at the corners which I could go into for a secure attachment, but I do not thing the rack will sit well on the outside, with the brackets teetering on the sloped edge.

If I go inboard a little, I am likely looking at bolts with plates to hold it. That said, I also have the 3/4 inch of foam to get plates above (or to squeeze with the plates/bolts... which doesn't seem an ideal option).

Any thoughts or ideas here?

2. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

Jun 10, 2011
    We did add a roof rack to our 2002 Coleman Taos shortly before we sold it and went with a TT. I remember my husband went thru the wood supports inside the roof. He is away camping with the boy scouts this weekend, so I cannot ask him if we had any curvature to deal with, I don't think we did. Ill look for any pictures and post them if I find them.

3. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

Jun 10, 2011
    i don't really see any curvature on our pup. but here are some pics

[​IMG]
    inside
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    don't worry, he took the bikes off before moving the popup out of the garage [;)]

4. BaysideJim

BaysideJim Member

May 5, 2015
    I have been thinking over the options for my pup..... Yakima make a nice product ... tracks that you can mount using "plus nuts" that make a secure connection. Check it out on their site... jus t google yakima plus nuts.......

5. ronnie

ronnie Member

Sep 3, 2015
  6. Checkered24

Checkered24 New Member

Jul 25, 2012
    JeepMama, thanks for the pics. I believe the roof style is the same on ours as it is on yours. However, I will look closer once I get home, as I am having trouble being sure checking out the pictures on my phone.

If you happen to think to ask him whether he was able to hit the wood side supports with those mounting locations I would appreciate it! It would make things significantly easier for me if I can hit them.

7. Checkered24

Checkered24 New Member

Jul 25, 2012
  8. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

Jun 10, 2011
    Yes, he was able to go into the wood supports.

9. Ianpkb

Ianpkb New Member

Apr 25, 2016
    Portland, OR
    I have been pondering adding tracks to the top of my PUP with aluminum roof. I want to put the Yakima tracks, control towers and roundbars. This looks like the most versatile application I have seen. The tracks are offered with plus nuts (blind fasteners for sheet metal roofs) or cap nuts that you install from the inside (designed for fiberglass applications - canopies). Has anyone had experience installing either of these? I am unsure of the construction of the roof, so I am a little hesitant to install the plus nuts because that aluminum roof is pretty thin.

Thanks for sharing any experiences! [MOD]

Ian

10. BaysideJim

BaysideJim Member

May 5, 2015
    Ian,

Once upon a time I had a Chevy Avalanche... I had a Yak rack installed on the back deck using plus nuts. The deck was some type of plastic composite and the nuts did not penetrate all the way to the other side. The rack was very secure, at one time I had four bikes on it. I am thinking of doing the same to my 2011 Coleman Bayside. I did see a rack the other day that mounts to the frame of the camper near the front triangle....from a company called pro ran...interesting idea

11. Checkered24

Checkered24 New Member

Jul 25, 2012
    My solution was a strap on roof rack which worked great! No issues. It's a swagman rack attached to some 2x4 feet, strapped down with a rubber gasket in between it and my pup. A couple sport rack bike racks supported our bicycle. No issues on our Memorial Day trip and no putting holes in my pup!

Attached Files:

12. Damuta

Damuta New Member

Jul 17, 2016
    Not familure with "plus nuts" can you elaborate more on these. I'm trying to mount solar to my 2000 Coleman west lake with the ABS roof... Very difficult with abs roof. Anyone that has done this before and sees this please hit me up on how you solved the issue

13. BaysideJim

BaysideJim Member

May 5, 2015
    plus nuts are a yakima product used to mount racks to roofs... check out Yakimas web site

14. dwwscran

dwwscran Member

Sep 17, 2015
    I know it's been a while for this thread but here goes anyways. I am in the process of rebuilding my roof and plan to install a bike carrier system as well. I will be installing 2 aluminum crass bars in the roof. once its all together I plan to use Rivnuts they are available through Fastenall. same product car manufacturers use to install roof racks on cars. work great and easy to use.