Additional outlet

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by gasmater, Aug 28, 2017.

1. gasmater

gasmater Member

Jul 26, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    I have a 84 Coleman Sun Valley pup and I'd like to put an electrical outlet on the outside. Has anyone done this and how?

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    I'm sure someone has done it. I personally have not, but it wouldn't be hard.
    - First, make sure the camper is not plugged into shore power.
    - Pull an existing outlet out of its box.
    - Connect wires for the new outlet.
    - Run wires to location for new outlet.
    - Drill hole in camper so wires can come through.
    - Install weatherproof box with wood screws.
    - Pull wires into new box.
    - Connect outlet.
    - Install outlet and cover.
    - Plug camper into shore power.
    - Test outlet.
    - Have celebratory beverage.

Dback2k4 likes this.
  3. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Are you comfortable with doing this kind of mod on your house (adding an outlet)? Gauging from your question, I'm guessing not.

Although the mod is "easy" in my opinion, I always discourage people from doing electrical repairs without knowing what they're doing. So either read up a lot on how to add an outlet (e.g. in a room in your house) or have someone else do it.

Assuming you do want to do this yourself, you'd be adding an exterior-grade outlet. You probably don't want a box sticking out the side of your camper, so find a place where you can cut a hole and recess a box into the side without affecting the inside space (e.g. inside a cabinet). Run a wire to it, put on an outlet (make sure it's GFCI protected... either downstream from an existing GFCI or a GFCI itself). Then attach a weatherproof cover.

4. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Iowa
    This needs to be both a prerequisite as well as a post-install task!

As for the OP, it's not much different than adding an outlet in your house if you're familiar with basic 110 wiring. Some pictures of the existing outlet will help us give you better advice.

As others have stated, just make sure you're on a GFCI loop. If the outlet you're extending off of is not a GFCI itself (with the test/reset buttons on it), then use a tester to see if it's downstream from an existing GFCI. You can buy a cheap GFCI tester online. If the tester does not go all lights off (when you plug into the outlet you're extending when you hit the test button) you're not on a GFCI circuit and you'll need your new outlet to be a GFCI outlet with the test/reset buttons on it. The new outlet will have wiring instructions with it. Don't skip the ground wire! It's critical to a working GFCI circuit!

Typically black or red is hot, white is neutral, and bare or green is ground when dealing with 110v. Note that 12v (battery) wiring is typically red/hot and black/negative so don't get the two confused. If in doubt, you could always install the box yourself and get a qualified electrician to do the wiring. The tricky part of your installation is going to be getting the box mounted somewhere that isn't in the way either inside or outside and running the wires to it.

[​IMG]

5. joet

joet Active Member

Mar 16, 2011

6. joet

joet Active Member

Mar 16, 2011
    When in doubt, its better to let a pro do this, than trying to figure out what went wrong after the fire dept has left

7. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2017
    western Colorado
    An RV 120VAC outlet is not the same as a regular residential outlet. An RV outlet is designed where the wire connections are not exposed so it does not need to be installed in a box. You can use a standard residential outlet, but it should be installed in a box.

(Ah, another parrothead...)

8. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    Need to know what Converter/Charger unit you have. Some of the earlier ones may not have a very large 120VAC and 12VDC Power Distribution panel where all of the 120VAC Circuit Breakers and 12VDC Fuses are located.

My 2008 model Starcraft 14RT trailer had a very small converter/charger unit originally. I replaced that with a WFCO 8900 series Power Distribution setup which looks something like this now
    [​IMG]
    Google Image

This makes for very easy addition 120VAC AC receptacle items being installed. Plenty of room to add additional circuit breakers or tap into the 12VDC Fuse panel as needed.

My original ELIXIR 30A Power Distribution box only supported two 120VAC circuit breaker positions and four 12VDC Fuse positions. Not much available with this small Power Distribution Box to add additional circuits to...

[​IMG]
    google image

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]