Advice needed re 2013 Nissan Murano towing capacity

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Alichris, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Alichris

Alichris New Member

Aug 8, 2017
    Hello, we are PUP newbies and are shopping for a used trailer. Our 2013 Nissan Murano SL has a hitch, but no wiring yet. The specs that I looked up are as follows:
    curb weight: 4110 lbs
    gross weight: 5133 lbs
    payload: 1177 lbs
    GCWR: 8300 lbs
    towing capacity: 3500 lbs

I am looking at a 1999 Coleman Bayside, which has approximately these specs (from the 2000 Coleman brochure):
    base vehicle weight: 2608lbs
    base hitch weight: 171 lbs
    GVWR: 3250 lbs

We are about 360 lbs for the 4 of us, let's say 400lbs to allow for the kids to grow. Plus 1 cooler worth of food, clothes, bikes, etc. Can it be as simple as the GVWR of the trailer is less than the towing capacity therefore we are ok? I am worried the Bayside may be too heavy for our vehicle.
    Thanks in advance!!

2. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    I am going to say yes on it being to heavy for your Murano. Just my opinion though. I am sure someone with the same camper will chime in and give you their opinion. A 1/2 ton truck or a larger SUV would be a better option on towing this camper. Good Luck on your search for a camper.

3. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    IMO, I wouldn't. The CVT transmission on the Murano is known for problems even when not towing. The newer Murano are better, but owners are still reporting problems. I suggest you keep the weight down to 2000 lbs. See http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/ for more info.

neighbormike likes this.
  4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I also agree with the above posters of it not being a good idea. I have the sister unit to the Bayside and in full camping mode with all gear I'm over 3000. Not to mention the tongue weight is very high on these units. Not sure of your vehicle be sure to read your manual carefully but on some, the tow rating does not include your passengers and cargo so you may have to deduct that weight from your tow rating.