Advice on which weight distribution hitch to choose

Discussion in 'Etrailer.com Trailers and Towing Forum' started by RugerRedhawk, Feb 28, 2018.

1. RugerRedhawk

RugerRedhawk Member

Jul 17, 2015
    2008 F-150 towing a starcraft 187TB. Gross trailer weight 4500#, dry tongue weight listed at 365#. My initial intuition is to go with a 600# tongue rated WDH. Obviously I'll have some gear, sometimes firewood, etc... in the bed of the truck. I'm unsure how I want to haul our 4 bicycles yet. I realize that with my truck I may not NEED a WDH, but I want one, with sway control especially. The husky centerline looked appealing from what I saw on youtube, but am tempted to just go with the simple chain style with brake friction sway control. Is either style particularly more simple to setup/remove at a camp site? Based on some videos I'm not sure my wife would be able to load the centerline by herself, but maybe the chain style is just as much effort? Thanks.

2. shfd739

shfd739 Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Our last pup (tongue heavy Niagara) we used an Equalizer brand 400/4000 WDH that setup and worked similar to the Husky Centerline. One of my few issues with it is to set the weight distribution the hitch head has to broken down and washers added or removed. Its good if your tongue weight stays pretty static. Not so good if it varies based on what youve loaded for a trip.

Now on our travel trailer we use a Blue Ox Sway Pro. This is my new favorite hitch. Connects and sets the weight distribution with chain links on rotating latches so it's easy to go up or down a link if needed based on how we're loaded. It also has built in sway control at the hitch head.

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    With the Blue Ox, Centerline and the Equal-i-zer units with built in sway you do not have to do anything when you want to back up, with a friction sway bar, it is recommended that you remove the bar if your going to back up as they have been known to bend.

I have a Reese Pro Series WDH with friction sway and it's pretty simple to hook-up. We got it from the dealer when we bought our TT, otherwise I would have bought something like the Centerline or Equal-i-zer WDH.

Toolmaker13 likes this.
  4. RugerRedhawk

RugerRedhawk Member

Jul 17, 2015
    Thanks guys, still thinking of the 600# tw option regardless of type of hitch I go with. Probably leaning towards the centerline style.

5. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

Sep 5, 2015
    Syracuse, NY
    RugerRedhawk - you are aware that I have the same HTT. I tow with a 14 Tundra. Believe me, the WDH is necessary and you will clearly see the benefits. Mine is either a 600# or 800# setup (I don't remember). I got it included by the RV Dealership when I bought mine. They set it up initially and I have since adjusted it slightly. Mine is a simple chain style with a separate friction sway bar. If you are fully loaded at 4500# with 15% tongue weight, then you will be over 600# limit. Although I don't think that is a likely scenario. I honestly don't think there will be much noticeable difference with 600# or 800# with our HTT and tow vehicle setups. And since we have adequate tow vehicles and double axle trailers with reasonable weight, I don't think sway is as big an issue. So just about any WDH and friction setup will work.

6. RugerRedhawk

RugerRedhawk Member

Jul 17, 2015
    Thanks, good point about 15% and max gross weight.

7. RugerRedhawk

RugerRedhawk Member

Jul 17, 2015
    Well it towed home perfectly fine with the regular ball mount, but that was empty, only with propane and a battery. I also wasn't on the highway with semis going past.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018