Alcohol ban - May long weekend

Discussion in 'Ontario' started by erich82, May 14, 2019.

1. erich82

erich82 Active Member

Hi everyone. We are camping this weekend at Bon Echo, and I am wondering if anyone has any experience camping during the alcohol ban. We are camping with 4 kids, so nothing party-esque, but would like to enjoy a beer or 2, being a little in conspicuous.

Does anyone know if they go around searching coolers or anything like that?

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

No experience when camping, but when tailgating i use a coozy. Cops never bothered us.

erich82 likes this.
  3. Tulip

Tulip Member

I was wondering the same thing. We're heading to algonquin. I'd love a glass of wine around the campfire but I don't know how stringent they are. I can't imagine them searching every cooler that comes in to all the parks on the long weekend.

4. erich82

erich82 Active Member

I'm thinking it's more of a deterrent for young crowds and party-goers. They have bans in some parks on labor day weekend as well for this. I'm hoping they only really use it to kick out the loud kids, and not the dad having a beer after putting his kids down. I'll use my mug anyways, and not walk around with a beer in hand.

5. Sjm9911

Sippy cup and wine also works , coffee cup, lol. Ill agree its more for the teenagers getting out of hand. ( i do remember what that was like).

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Never been searched and as others can testify to we carry a small bar with us...

Be smart with it.. don't use a Solo cup no matter what colour it is.. use a travel mug or coffee cup.. do all the opening and pouring inside the trailer and be quiet when moving empty bottles around... nothing else makes that klink sound like empty bottles..

WrkrBee, kcsa75, Tulip and 1 other person like this.
  7. Sjm9911

Thats atually too funny, we used to sneek beer into the movie theaters. During a quite sceen , as a kid maybe 17 , i kicked a bottle accedently, you heard clink ,clink ,click faster and faster as it rolled from the back most seats, untill , it smashed up front. And i was the only one standing......

kcsa75 and 1380ken like this.
  8. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

I used to get a pretty good beer at The Beer Store that comes in plastic bottles, which came in particularly useful in the Algonquin back country, where cans and glass bottles used to be banned. Sadly, all bottles are now banned, but the plastic might come in handy in non-back country, given they remove the noise and look more like soda-pop bottles.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  9. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I camp at state parks where alcohol is not allowed and the only time the ranger came over was when things got too noisy. Then they started questioning the drink people had in their hands. So sitting around a campfire being quiet sipping a cold one won’t even show up on their radar unless something else comes into play first. I agree to avoid using solo cups for your drink as I find rangers would question that first.

kcsa75, Blackripley and Sjm9911 like this.
  10. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Much ado about nothing. Having the alcohol ban in place for the specific time period around the May 2-4 long weekend merely gives park authorities (and the OPP if necessary) the mechanism to control those who can't control themselves, usually 20 somethings, not families who know better.

xxxapache, erich82 and Sjm9911 like this.
  11. hometownhiker

hometownhiker Active Member

I agree with above statements, if you are discreet, not loud and obnoxious, it won't be a problem.

VikingGirl and Sjm9911 like this.
  12. VikingGirl

VikingGirl New Member

We have previously used travel mugs without an issue. We aren't camping this May 2-4, but hope everyone has decent weather.

13. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

OPP?- Occasional Police Patrol ???

14. Tulip

Tulip Member

Ontario Provincial Police - similar to your state troopers

WrkrBee likes this.
  15. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Insulated coffee mugs are a winner at local parades!

My big bubba mug holds like 3 cold ones, and a slug of ice. Who cares if the last big is a little watery...? It's like 3.2 at that point! Cheers!

16. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

We like to use the coozies... Put out a PEPSI can on the table and have your beer in a coozie… Hard to tell the difference...

[​IMG]
    google image

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    google images

Of course if you fall out of your easy chair in front of the Rangers that's a different story hehe...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

17. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I have actually talked to a park Yogi (Ranger) While standing right in front of him with my coffee cup of "apple juice" .. He never questioned it..

18. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Could also mean Ontario Provincial Parks, although most will type it as opp or o.p.p. and the Police as OPP or O.P.P ..

Tulip likes this.
  19. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

As said, just be discreet and polite. Use mugs or travel cups or cozies. Don't be loud or obnoxious. If you do get caught, be polite, apologize and accept the "punishment" even if it means you have to leave. That last part will make a huge difference - being polite and apologetic could end up with a warning rather than expulsion.

20. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

What about smoking weed. Isn't that legal in all of Canada?