Aliner 12, 18K mile trip from VA to AK, problems, problems, etc.

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by razcob, Nov 18, 2018.

1. razcob

razcob Member

Jan 4, 2018
    Powhatan, VA
    I tightened and checked everything on my Aliner 12 before I took my trip.
    I bent both of my 2000lbs axle pins, which caused the inner tires to wear quickly on both sides. I went through 4 sets of tires, and resorted to flipping the rim, during the last 500 miles just to make it home, although it didn't exactly fit with the tapered lugs and wheel hubs. I bought new steel wheels and they are both now out of round.

I collected a dozen square head screws that came out from somewhere?! My Blue Sea voltmeter that was mounted on my battery box, which heated high enough in CO to melt the battery box. 2 of the long front body to frame screws backed out or quit holding. The propane heater vent pipe backed out and was damaged beyond repair. The front roof is not aligned straight. It favors the right side, which caused the inside to rub on the outside of the aluminum on the rear roof. My new AC stopped working after a week (something was rattling loose inside) I had a canadian field mouse crawl up my power cord, and enter my camper at 3am to eat my trash. I bent a perfectly good frying pan trying to kill it while it crossed over my legs. My fantastic fan started to leak, and the top looked sealed, so I recaulked the 4 inside, corner screws and it stopped. My new Duracell deep cycle battery would not make it through the night, so like clock work, the smoke detector would beep a couple of times and then stop. I noticed that the battery would not charge when the ambient temperatures were high. The sink top and AC counter both became loose and had to be resecured. When I fold the sides, the point of the top triangle rubs badly on the center divider of the window. The table top became detached a couple of times and had to be resecured. Went through a couple brake lights. The good news is that I hit a hail storm and just missed a tornado.

Having said all of this, I still love the camper and am keeping it. You just can't beat the quick set up of an Aliner. It kept me warm in 30 degree temperatures and 90 degree days, when the AC was working. I could be sleeping/napping in 20 seconds after a long days drive. I only saw one Aliner during my entire trip.

I just installed a 3500lbs Dexter axle with electric brakes with a 32 degree down. Adding 14 inch aluminum wheels.

Byrd_Huntr likes this.
  2. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Sounds like a great trip! [LOL]

3. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    Glad to see you made it back okay! Hope you had a good time in AK. I actually saw you on the road, I think in Homer or somewhere down there in August, or it could have been up towards the Denali Highway while we were hunting, I can't recall, but I knew it was you.

The AK highways and Alcan Highway will shake just about everything loose. At least the memories will only age and become more fond.

4. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Virginia
    Sweet flippin' mother of pearl...you've more patience than I, a pint of gas & a Zippo would have been my remedy; pull off the side of the road, unhitch, douse, light, drive away into the night...thanks for sharing...[CB]

5. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
  6. razcob

razcob Member

Jan 4, 2018
    Powhatan, VA
    Generok, Thanks for your help with shipping the tires and your trip advice was the best!! Your advice about Anchor Point was awesome!! I drove and camped on the beach for free and just looked at those wonderful volcanoes across the bay each day. I camped within 100 yards of the water during the day, and at night was surprised that the tide was out maybe 500 yards.

7. We arrived on the gulf coast last Saturday coming from western NY. We brought our 2018 Aliner Classic. We are staying at a condo until March, then we are going camping. We are leaving our popup at a friends until then. While getting gas in TN I noticed the cover door over the hot water tank was gone, with one screw bent in half loosely hanging on. After arriving I went to get my fishing tackle out of the popup. When I raised the roof, there was the microwave laying on the floor. Luckily, one of the seat cushions had already fallen on the floor and the microwave landed on it, so the glass door didn't break. There were screws on the floor coming from the frame that holds the microwave in. (When I got home after purchasing this unit in May, the microwave was sideways in it's compartment, as it's over 5 hours to the dealer, I straightened the microwave, and replaced the screws that were nowhere to be found.) I have a list at home of things wrong with this unit, from a leaky ceiling fan to different size screws in the same application. This unit is a piece of garbage (family site). I'm not sure if after our stay at the condo if we will even attempt to camp in this thing. I know I'm going to take a bath on selling this thing but it's certainly not worth the aggravation. I especially get a kick out of the employees in the brochure who act like they put out a quality product. JUNK-JUNK-JUNK!!!! When I get home I'll list all the things wrong and tell you how I really feel!

Rik Peery likes this.
  8. razcob

razcob Member

Jan 4, 2018
    Powhatan, VA
    snobirds-ny,
    Obviously we share our frustration, but once everything 'broke' on my trip, it didn't seem to get any worse. After all my problems, I remember telling myself during my trip that my Aliner was the best decision I made. There is nothing that opens so fast and allows you to eat or sleep in seconds, especially after a long drive, when you are tired and cranky.

Byrd_Huntr likes this.
  9. razcob, I somewhat agree, but when you are cranky BECAUSE of the popup, is it really worth it?

10. razcob

razcob Member

Jan 4, 2018
    Powhatan, VA
    Your problems didn't prevent you from camping, and that's the same for me during my trip. I went through tires with the bent axles, but I was still camping.

Put a generous amount of silicone or sealant on those 4 inside corner screws of the fan. That stopped mine from leaking.

11. razcob

razcob Member

Jan 4, 2018
    Powhatan, VA
    Here is my rig on my way home. The aliner is still hanging in there.

Attached Files:

12. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    Great trip report and attitude!

I think when the rig fits your particulars, you can get through the problems and still have a great outlook on the future. I have felt that way with my clipper - and now that I have worked through a lot of things, the problems are occurring less often. And when I fix something, I am just so happy my "perfect rig" is better again.

On the flip side, if there is nothing really attracting you to that particular rig, then the problems overwhelm the enjoyment.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  13. Toedtoes

May 28, 2018
    California
    I was waiting for the "had to go to the hospital for a knee replacement after bashing my legs with the pan trying to get the Canadian field mouse". :). Glad you stopped before that.

14. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    Wha? No stories about a bear breaking in the camper?

15. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Active Member

Jul 2, 2016
    AZ Aliner
    After having my Classic for 5 years, I don’t regret my decision either. Yes, there’s been needed repairs but she’s still going strong.

I always think of Repairs as being given the opportunity to upgrade. We have done plenty of upgrades through the years. And mostly likely will have more in the future.

It’s all TOTALLY worth it...

Happy Camping [ALPU][PUT]

16. Jim Whitehouse

Jim Whitehouse New Member

Apr 16, 2018
    Guelph, Ontatio, Canada
    wow!! We travelled to the Yukon this past June, 18,000 km. Picked our 2018 Classic up May 8. Needed minor door adjustment at the dealer, made some alterations and on the road May 23. this is our first camper ever owned! Done the Dempster Highway and Alaska Highway South to Dawson City. Had the odd screw come loose, spraying gravel wore off the electric brake ties on the axel (had to fix twice. will use SS gear clamps before setting out on next adventure in Feb) but nothing so horrific as described. The worst that happened was the fridge door came off 3X. I'm a slow learner. Now travel with a bungee cord across the door. no problems since.
    We love the quick setup/take down of Val. Compared to tent camping, we are in the lap of luxury.
    Dirty Val1.jpg
    Dirty Val2.jpg

Rik Peery and neighbormike like this.
  17. Everyone, this is a 2018 new from the factory Classic. Should I really expect to make "needed repairs?" I have had it for 6 whole months, should I really be looking forward to "doing upgrades?" As for my problems not stopping me from camping, we are not camping in it, we are at our condo. The camping was supposed to be in March around FL and travels back to NY. It's not like I abused this thing. I took out every screw in the door frame and put loctite on them. I used marine grade sealant around the bubble windows as soon as I got it home. I upgraded to radial tires. This was all done after I read about the problems. I didn't realize this thing is not made for highway speeds. Unless doors flying off at 70 mph is normal. If I didn't know better, I would swear this Aliner was built for Harbor Freight!

18. Toedtoes

May 28, 2018
    California
    Very few RVs built nowadays have quality control unfortunately. Seems like it's just a matter of luck as to whether one has to do repairs out the gate or has a couple years of "everything works great". It's worse than the old "they must have built your car on a Monday or Friday" reality. Now, it is just as likely to happen with an RV built on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday.

I think until consumers start suing the manufacturers for cr@p products, this will continue.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  19. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Active Member

Jul 2, 2016
    AZ Aliner
    Wow. Totally forgot it was new from the factory. Definitely speak with CNW about your Aliner. Maybe it’s time consumers like yourself voice concerns and disapproval’s over the quality of newly manufactured Aliners. CNW leadership needs to take responsibility and make things right. I bought my unit because of Aliners quality and resale value. My unit was built back in 2012. I’m sure their production crew has changed since. It’s probably on borrowed time.o_O

A company’s reputation means a lot. And after learning about yours and other’s issues with newly manufactured units, I would have second thoughts on another.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

20. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    All RV manufacturers are cranking them out as fast as possible and setting new records every year.

You think it is an Aliner problem because you bought an Aliner. If you bought a Winnebago or Airstream the situation would likely be the same.

Until things slow forcing the companies to compete for sales nothing will change when it comes to quality.

Most buyers don't realize that RV manufacturers do no quality control. The selling dealer is under contract from the factory to go over every system top to bottom and fix all the issues. If you have early issues with an RV it is because your dealer screwed you over and didn't do their job.