Aliner 12, 18K mile trip from VA to AK, problems, problems, etc.

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by razcob, Nov 18, 2018.

1. McCampers

McCampers Member

I too have had many problems with my Aliner Scout. It is not the design, but the poor construction. 18k miles would be a hard test on any camper especially in the rough terrains you would have crossed. I believe this type trip to be epic and one that made memories, bad and good, that will last a lifetime. Congratulations are due to the fact you made it home with any type camper still in tow. The problems you had can be fixed, which in the end created a better camper for your style of camping. Thank you for posting this as it gives us all things to check on our campers as it pointed out the weak spots that need to be tweaked. Enough with the camper talk, now give us more details of the scenery and the trip as very few have been there and done that except in our dreams.

PaThacker, Rik Peery and Byrd_Huntr like this.
  2. razcob

razcob Member

Funny thing is while I was on a long dirt road looking for a turn off for a campsite that I couldn't find. I turned around because I thought I went too far, when I noticed a shiny metal object in the roadway. I remember thinking that the shiny object probably fell off a cheap ATV that I saw riding in the area. I wasn't sure what it was, so I continued on down the road and found the campsite. When i arrived at the campsite, I realized that shiny metal object was my furnace pipe that fell off. Went back for it several miles, but the pipe was damaged from being run over.

Rik Peery likes this.
  3. _WW_

_WW_ New Member

I've had both an Aliner and a Chalet. Both 2006 models. I have to say that I believe the Chalet is a more robust product. However, they both will suffer from the same things. Screws will work loose on rough roads, especially those that just go into the foam panels. When ever I see one that needs tightened, I back it out, squirt some caulking in the hole and run it back in.

Has anyone tried mudflaps on the TV to help keep the grime off of the trailer?

shuang2 and Rik Peery like this.
  4. Lonewolf55

Lonewolf55 Going NoWhereFast

Aliners are in a class of very lightweight trailers. they are made out of foam and 1/8 - 1/16 inch plywood. They can be pulled by a subaru or mini SUV. As a result, they are fairly "Delicate". Take a look at any "Lightweight" trailer and you will find they just don't hold up. If you want something you can drag all over (Our national highway system can resemble a lava flow) Buy a Turtleback Trailer! The point of the Aliner is a fully equipped bedroom/Kitchen with instant setup and take down. They require a bit of maintenance and care, but still can't be beat.

StlAnnie, DiamondGirl, kudzu and 2 others like this.
  5. Steve0we

Steve0we New Member

As the owner of a NEW 2019 EXPEDITION I am pretty excited about reading this thread. I have already learned a few things and will be rolling mine into my shop to make a bunch of changes.

1.screws into foam need to be removed and installed with silicone to act as loc-tite.

2. Wiring from the factory was run (so-so) at best and will need to be secured and cleaned up prior to our first big trip.

3. Sounds like bolt on items need to be removed and re-installed to check for proper mounting methods and leak prevention.

Let the fun begin!

Halford likes this.
  6. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Active Member

Welcome Steve0we to the Aliner Family...

Despite some flaws, we really love our Aliner and hope you will too.

It does take care & maintenance to keep your Aliner in great shape. As long as you have skills and are handy with tools, you’ll be fine.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

7. Steve0we

Steve0we New Member

We just spent several weeks racing the Baja 1000 in Mexico and have lots of fun toys. We have a full, and when I say “full” I mean it shop. Can’t wait to get started upgrading our new camper.

Attached Files:

Rik Peery likes this.
  8. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Not silicone, there is no place for silicone on your RV. Use a good quality adhesive caulk. It must say adhesive as part of the name.

9. Steve0we

Steve0we New Member

Once again the internet saves the day! Thanks for the great advice! Well done sir.

10. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Welcome! Your new Expedition come with tow package? I love the new vehicle smell and technology!

11. Sotovoce

Sotovoce Active Member

We haven't removed anything that was still holding. Most things are holding fine. We do carry some tools with us and have tightened loose screws on trips. Once home we may do a more permanent fix.
    Here are some other points to consider.

Our highway cruising speed is in the low 60's. The original tires were only rated for 65 mph and we decided we liked the slower, more relaxed travel.

While our Aliner says it is an "off road" edition we have never considered it an off road vehicle or treated it as such.

As with our backpacks we try to balance the load and keep most of the weight low and near the wheel wells. Ours was 100 lbs heavier on the street side coming off the assembly line so we load more weight on the curb side.

Enjoy your camper.

12. Lonewolf55

Lonewolf55 Going NoWhereFast

Be aware, lots of silicone caulks have other chemicals in them that will eat the foam in the interior of the laminated panels. If you have issues, stick with mechanical fasteners, not chemical.

13. SNOBIRDS-NY

SNOBIRDS-NY Member

We have arrived home from FL with our 2018 Aliner Classic, we decided not to camp because of a few factors, the Aliner and the weather mostly. This past Monday I sent an email to the factory telling them I need to order a door (I'll supply better screws myself) to cover the hot water kit. I have not heard back.

14. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Ha. Fridge and water heater doors/panels fly off any camper towed 1000s of miles in one trip on or off highways/roads.

15. SNOBIRDS-NY

SNOBIRDS-NY Member

I'm still waiting to hear back from Aliner, 5 days and counting, about a replacement door. You would think that, "Fridge and water heater doors/panels fly off any camper towed 1000s of miles........" they would have plenty of replacements, wouldn't you? By the way my door was gone after about 400 miles, I'm just lucky I guess. Also, a question, At how many miles should I pull over and check for loose screws inside? I found 8 on the floor (so far) of different lengths, doing the same application. Admittedly a couple of these screws may have already been just laying around from the quality workmanship.

16. supersaiyan93

supersaiyan93 Member

You would be surprised how much of an A-liner is held together with literal silicone. The wheel tubs? All standard silicone. The corners under those plastic caps? All sealed with clear silicone.

If you call the factory and ask for a recommendation on new silicone to seal those areas, the recommendation they come back with is GE kitchen and bath.