Aliner dormer decision

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by BigTex56, Feb 18, 2018.

1. BigTex56

BigTex56 New Member

Apr 11, 2017
    Spring, Texas
    I don’t own an Aliner yet but am actually looking for a good used one now. Prefer the Classic but undecided about dormers. Anyone have any input on getting no dormers / soft dormers / hard dormers? Seems useful over the dinette end but I don’t see much of an advantage over the bed end. Saw a Rockwood today that has only the one dormer over the dinette end. Storage box makes it too long to fit in my garage.

2. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2011
    DE and NH
    If you had 4 adults sitting at the dinette it might feel cramped without dormers. The dormers definitely give you more open space and lots of folks love them. I'd go to a dealer or RV show and sit in few models for a while and see what you think.

We opted for no dormers because we felt the larger 15' box had plenty of head room for the two of us and I wanted the roof to be as light as possible due to back issues. I also liked the simplicity of design without dormers. Ours has lift assist (gas struts) and the first time I unlatched the roof it actually lifted itself.

Last month when it was very cold in early Jan on the east coast (even in FL) we were camping for 2 weeks from the mid-atlantic south and spent much more time than usual inside the camper. Space/headroom was not an issue for us. (I'm just under 6' and my wife is just over 5')

Sotovoce likes this.
  3. Sotovoce

Sotovoce Active Member

Jun 27, 2015
    Georgia
    2X what nhlakes said.

4. Fbird

Fbird Active Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Ferndale MI
    at just over 6'1" I see a big advantage to a dormer. I have a older aliner lxe. the back end is the bed, I wouldn't worry about a dormer over it. the other end has the fridge and the sit-n-sh!t, dormer on that end would be great.

5. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2010
    We do not have a dormer on our Chalet XL 1940. However, we(four adults)once sit in the trailer on the bothside bed end, talking, eating and drinking because of rainstorm, still feel pretty roomy and enjoy.

6. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Minnesota
    We have the Aliner Classic without dormers. I am 6'2" and I have no trouble with the dinette end, as we have the large single full width bubble on each end that adds a little headroom. If there were 4 people of that height at the dinette, the two inside persons might have headspace issues. Maybe some advantage to a dormer over the dinette when more than two are at the dinette, but I see no advantage to a dormer over the bed.

BigTex56 likes this.
  7. BigTex56

BigTex56 New Member

Apr 11, 2017
    Spring, Texas
    Byrd_Huntr, my thoughts exactly. Gently used Aliners are almost impossible to find in my area. I saw one listing for a Sport near me but am only interested in the Classic. I like the larger refrigerator with freezer in the Classic. I am driving 3 hours away on Thursday to look at one and if it lives up to the listing and included photos, will probably be joining the Aliner family!

If I do so, my Starcraft 2407 will be for sale.

Byrd_Huntr likes this.
  8. Outdoor Grandma

Outdoor Grandma New Member

Apr 16, 2018
    We just got a 2009 Classic. It has the two bubble windows, and we find it has plenty of room for both the futon sofa and the dinette. We hope to get solar at some time, so that may add weight to the roof-already heavy for us. I think the dormer would add weight and make it more difficult to lift the roof. Might be something to think about...

BigTex56 likes this.
  9. BigTex56

BigTex56 New Member

Apr 11, 2017
    Spring, Texas
    Thanks for the feedback. I did purchase a Classic without dormers. The weight issue you mentioned and the fact I’ll likely want to add a solar panel helped me make my decision.

10. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Minnesota
    Congratulations on your Aliner purchase

BigTex56 likes this.
  11. Sotovoce

Sotovoce Active Member

Jun 27, 2015
    Georgia
    Welcome to the A-frame family. Enjoy your little pointy camper and consider joining the Aliner Owners Club (which is actually open to owners of the other brands of A-frame campers).

12. BigTex56

BigTex56 New Member

Apr 11, 2017
    Spring, Texas
    Thanks. I have joined the AOC.

13. SNOBIRDS-NY

SNOBIRDS-NY New Member

Congratulations on your Aliner. We are going to an Aliner dealer in PA (4 hours 1 way) tomorrow and are looking for a classic also. We were considering hard dormers, but are leaning towards no dormers.

14. SNOBIRDS-NY

SNOBIRDS-NY New Member

We drove to Juniata Valley RV yesterday in Mifflintown, PA. We spent about 3 hours looking at their inventory, focusing mainly on Aliners. We finally decided on a 2018 Classic without the dormers. We pick it up next Monday. Looking forward to the camping experience more than the upcoming New York DMV experience.

myride likes this.
  15. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

May 17, 2014
    BigTex56, glad to hear you joined the AOC. The AOC High Altitude Special Interest Group will have a Rally July 19-22 northeast of Santa Fe, NM. Hosts are from the Dallas, TX area. Lots to do in the Santa Fe, Taos, Pecos area- art galleries, opera, historical sites, and more. Check it out.

We joined AOC in 2014 and have had great times at five rallies. Hope you can join us.

16. GLHX2112

GLHX2112 New Member

Apr 17, 2012

Funny you mention that, I've been looking (online) for a few weeks now at a Scout-Lite they have on the lot... I'm pretty close to taking a trip. [:D]

17. BigTex56

BigTex56 New Member

Apr 11, 2017
    Spring, Texas
    I would love too, but I think I have a date conflict. I will double check.

18. BigTex56

BigTex56 New Member

Apr 11, 2017
    Spring, Texas
    If it were the following week I could go, but have another commitment that weekend.