Almost camping under my favorite backyard tree

Discussion in 'Camp Driveway' started by roybraddy, Oct 20, 2018.

1. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    Crisp cool low 50s this morning with a nice bon-fire going under my backyard favorite tree camping spot setup... Listening to good ole country music and have a good fresh ground and brewed bean coffee pot ready to drink...

Brought out a Jimmy Dean breakfast meal this morning and stired in some fresh made gravy from a gravy pack from the store. Mixed in some more pre-cooked bacon strips...

Hmmm Good...

All I am missing is watching fish jump in the local stream haha... Heard a hoot owl already...

Not too far away from where my signature photo was made here of my OFF-ROAD POPUP...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Sounds like heaven, I did have a place behind me like that and I would go and sit about daylight and watch the swamp come alive. However at the moment and for the foreseeable future i cannot access the spot (or anything else back there) due to the hurricane up rooting the trees, I will just have to make a new path and do not have time now. Enjoy your favorite spot as just like mine they can disappear really fast.

3. roybraddy

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    NINEOAKS - We lucked out up here in Northern Neck Virginia when the remnants of your storm came through. All went back out to Sea around the Norfolk area... The first stom that went through ALA went out West of us and got back to the Sea around the NYC area... Now we got a cold front coming through from a Texas storm...

I've been wanting to put up a wind break lean-too just inside my small woods on my property... Always have a good strong breeze blowing across my back yard along the tree line from the woods from the North winds.. It would probably would get my neighbor County Fire Marshall up in arms having a big bon-fire inside the woods however... He has stopped here a few times when I am sitting under my big tree visiting when i am sitting out which is just about every day now when the weather gets cool... Got great BACK YARD WIFI here from the house so all of my Internet toys work good hehe...

Roy Ken

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  4. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We live in a small clearing in the woods. The only thing I don't like about yard camping is the camper is in front of the house and our fire pit is in the back. We "could" get the camper around the back, just never do. And we don't have any water to fish or beach to walk along finding shells and sharks teeth. Those are my current favorite hobbies, so yard camping is mostly just for the grandchildren.

5. nineoaks2004

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I am glad y'all did not get any of this one, it was terrible we went to Dothan today to CW for parts and boy have they changed, they have Cabelas stuff and Overlands stuff and are going to get guns too. anyway it is amazing at the trees down with the root ball still attached, they are everywhere. I know their road crews, just as ours was, were overworked during the big blow just keeping the roads open and safe.
    We were luck and only got a piece of the storm, it turned east just as it got in our area so the winds were not as strong, it hit Mariana Fl hard and like us, it is quite aways from the coast and of course the coastal areas were demolished.
    I have been told that the 35 killed is not true, a FHP trooper told a good friend that one of the morgues has about 130 bodies being stored so far, and for some reason they are not releasing that info. now. I was informed that the undertaker has to make a decision about what actually cause the death and if it was storm related, old age or criminal. Any Happy for y'all and stay safe

6. roybraddy

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    NINEOAKS - Roy... I'm sort in situation here with my OFF-ROAD POPUP setup. My large battery bank finally stopped working since being installed in late 2008 and I had to park my OFF-ROAD trailer for a couple of seasons until I purchased some GC2 6VDC batteries... Finally got a good deal on GC2 batteries from BATTERIES PLUS and moved my parked trailer to a good spot to start working on my tongue installed battery box. Found out the trailer right rear corner had a water leak from roof runoff on that side and now my whole right side tail end is all mushy and needs inside boards replaced etc... The outer vinyl is fine just the boards inside the wall...

Been thinking what would be best for me to do since I am up in my years now and really don't expect to do any more long distances camping anymore. Quite happy to just hang out around here locally within a couple of hundred miles or so...

I'm kinda thinking maybe just install the battery bank in the bed of my truck and go back to tent camping... I really like the idea of sleeping on top of an utility trailer or one of those TEARDROP trailers... something like this...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Google images

I could pretty easy build up something like this using an utility trailer too...

The ARMY M series TRAILERs are still available if you know where to look...
    [​IMG]
    google image

I can also just patch up my water damaged off-road trailer as well... Who cares if the walls are mushy... Only have a few more camping years left in me anyway haha......

Lesson learned don't long term park without a tarp over it hehe...
    I haven't even tried to raise the roof yet. If it is not damaged that will probably lead to just patch up the side and forget about it... Fill it full of foam spray...

Having Power Inverter 120VAC and 12VDC power source in the back of truck even might lead to one heck on a tent camp setup... Can run 20-26AMPS DC Current during the evenings for days with the new battery bank setup... Then recharge in three hours time using my Honda 2KW Generator or slow recharge using solar panels...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

7. nineoaks2004

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida

I have learned a few things in my 75 years (76 next month) I do not climb as well as I once did I also make the same mistakes I just make them slower. Anything that I would have to climb up to, such as the tent toppers would not work for me. You have a great set up now that suits you and fits your type of camping, Personally I would probably stay with that set up. Also I would assume that is is paid for so a little outlay to "safe it up" is better than spending money on another one that you will have to modify to "make it your own. The decision is of course up to you. Good luck and Happy Camping

8. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    I always get hungry when you write about your Jimmy Deans lol! If you find your Starcraft is too badly damaged to repair, maybe something like a Scamp or TAB would suit your needs??

9. roybraddy

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    I don't think the 14R/T is all that bad. Will have to remove some inside paneling to pull the bad boards out and replace... I just need to get the roof raised and see how hard this will be... To really fix it would require a lot of panels removed but I don't think I will do that. I wish I had a garage or barn to work in haha...

I will replace two Butyl Tape metal outer frame sealing metal pieces after I get a couple of new inside boards replaced and that should do it. the hard part will be getting to the damaged boards without having to remove the whole wall etc... I got a good cabinet maker friend I haven't talked to yet... He will have the best ideas I'm sure... Just need to get started on on it before the WX changes too bad on me...

The outer Vinyl Wall looks like this... how hard can this be haha...

[​IMG]
    Google image

My side wall and rear wall is separated here by damaged and swollen ply-board inner board...

Roy Ken

10. roybraddy

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    I will be 78 this coming Monday haha... Legs still work for me... I'll do something as simple as i can for sure... I love my OFF-ROAD POPUP. This one is really beefed up frame wise... has 6-inch framing around the bottom... The others only have 3-4 inch frames.

Roy Ken

11. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Hope you're able to get her patched up and get back out there soon!! Jimmy Dean always tastes better under an awning [CC]