Amatuer Camping family just bought a pup

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Spartacus, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Spartacus

Spartacus New Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Murray, Kentucky
    Hello all!

I am the fearless leader of my family of 4 and I consider myself an "older millennial" since I was born in the early 80's and was taught to earn the rewards of hard work. The wife and I have a 6 year old boy and a 4 year old girl and we have been borrowing my parents pup for the last several years here in Western Kentucky.

Well, my kids have grown to love camping and that's all they want to do for vacation. We took the plunge and bought a very, gently used 2006 Rockwood Freedom 1950 for a steal. My parents had a simple '99 Jayco pup with basic features. Our new-to-us Rockwood has electric lift, toilet, shower, fridge, etc. --Things our parent's camper did not have.

My main objectives for joining are to find good preventative maintenance methods to keep our pup in tip-top shape, good hacks and mods for the pup, and general tips and advice for enjoying camping, campgrounds, and everything in between.

It goes without saying, but I also hope I never have to use this site for troubleshooting problems (knock on wood) but I know something will eventually come up and will use this site to it's fullest extent!

Thanks!

Halford, Orchid and J Starsky like this.
  2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Active Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Hello and welcome from Minnesota!

Spartacus likes this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Welcome from Northern Virginia. It's kind of funny your story was almost the same as mine. I started out borrowing my parents old 90's barebones Jayco until they gave it to me when they upgraded. However the Jayco broke on me and I decided to upgrade to a Fleetwood. This site has a lot of helpful information and the mod section can be kind of dangerous section to read. [;)]

Spartacus likes this.
  4. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    Welcome! You've come to the right place!

Spartacus likes this.
  5. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2013
    San Diego
    Yes, you've definitely come to the right place. Welcome to the portal, you are family now.

Spartacus likes this.
  6. DJS12354

DJS12354 Active Member

Greetings from NEPA!

Spartacus likes this.
  7. Turbulent

Turbulent Member

Jan 2, 2018
    i love the 80s too!

welcome!

Spartacus likes this.
  8. J Starsky

J Starsky Active Member

Aug 3, 2017
    Random "child" of 1977 here. Can't tell if I'm a GenX er or not....

You're in good company and welcome to it!

Spartacus likes this.
  9. megcabra

megcabra Active Member

Welcome and greetings from North Carolina to the exciting world of Pop-Up camping!

Spartacus likes this.
  10. GreatBigAbyss

GreatBigAbyss Active Member

Apr 12, 2017
    Manitoba
    Congratulations. You sound just like us. Older millenial, born in the early 80's. We borrowed my boss's 8'
    Jayco PUP for a couple years, until we were sure we wanted bo buy our own. We bought our 2005 Palomino Pony 2100 last spring and used it all through the summer.

Welcome to the site. There is a wealth of information and experience within the userbase here.

Spartacus likes this.
  11. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Welcome aboard from N/W Fl. and congrats on the NTU PUP. Sounds like you have arrived !!:)
    You have come to the right place for answers to most any question. for Mods try this site and www.popupprinces.com I know the kids will love the new unit.
    Here are a couple of books, I think I got them on amazon, they have been around for awhile but both are good.
    Popping Up Across America by Arlene Trainor Corby also
    Camping in a pop-up Camper is Paradise by Mellody R.L. Allee
    Hoping ya'll have many great adventures in the future with your Rockwood. Good Luck and Happy Camping

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Spartacus likes this.
  12. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Welcome to the portal

13. Stang65fst

Stang65fst Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Iron Station, NC
    Doesn't sound like your much of an amateur, welcome I am sure many memories await.

Spartacus likes this.
  14. kcsa75

kcsa75 Active Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    Welcome to the forum from Midway USA!
    Take those kids camping as often as you can. [:)C]

Spartacus likes this.
  15. rich2

rich2 Active Member

May 3, 2007
    Northampton, PA
    Welcome from Penna..

Spartacus likes this.
  16. mrkrag

mrkrag Member

Dec 22, 2017
    Palm Harbor, FL
    Welcome, from the gulf coast of Florida!

Yes, I would say you are more than an amateur. Mind your step in the mod forum rabbit hole, and you can probably contribute to others newer than you as much as you can learn yourself.

It's awesome that your kids got into it as well. I myself never had anyone take me out as a kid, not sure how I ended up like this...

17. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Active Member

Apr 13, 2015
    LaLa land
    Welcome Spartacus

J Starsky maybe Pepsi gen.

18. J Starsky

J Starsky Active Member

Aug 3, 2017
    But I don't wear a single white glove? 2 dirty gloves, probably not matching gloves though... [KK]

I identify with Gen X the closest. Travelled around behind Dave Matthews Band, rock out with Pearl Jam and I don't think the tunes are the oldies channels now are "old enough". I also wear lots o' flannel, wear pants too baggy but not sagging, what to help folks be not be stepped on.

19. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2017
    western Colorado
    Greetings from Colorado!

20. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    I don't only use this forum for trouble-shooting but for discussions, info, advice, and etc etc.