Another LED question (1141 bunk light replacement)

Discussion in 'Lighting, Interior and Exterior' started by BirdsNest, Jun 24, 2017.

1. BirdsNest

BirdsNest Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Utah
    I am getting ready to replace the 10-year-old (original) incandescent bulbs in my 2007 StarCraft 13RT and I found these that look like great options for the 921 bulbs in the overhead dome lights and the patio light. Nice color rating, regulated voltage, very bright, and good reviews all around.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EDFM5QU/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2WYHIKT67HDGV

However, I'm having trouble with the 1141 bulbs in the three bunk light fixtures. All of the options I have found are "SUPER BRIGHT" (500-800 lumens or more), which is fine for outside tail light replacements and probably for main overhead dome lights as well, but I don't want the bunk lights to be super bright. I want them to be appropriate for reading lights at night without being blinding/distracting for people on the other bunks who want to be sleeping, so I'd really like to find some regulated warm white bulbs that are rated around 300 lumens or less. Any suggestions?
    According to the comments from the manufacturer, these run about 470-500 lumens, which is the lowest I have found so far, but even that seems too bright. I have a true 490 lumen flashlight that is completely blinding inside the trailer with no other lights on (we tested it), so if that rating is accurate on the bulbs, it really is too bright. But if there aren't any better options, I'll go with those and maybe use something over the dome light lenses to dim them a bit if they end up being too bright.
    https://www.amazon.com/GRV-Ba15s-Po...qid=1498328110&sr=8-1&keywords=12-24+LED+1141

p.s. Of course they don't have to be GRV bulbs. Those just ended up being the seemingly best options I've found so far...

2. BirdsNest

BirdsNest Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Utah
    I went ahead and bought the LEDs that I mentioned and they worked great. The 921 style lights are a bit flimsy where the base is hot-glued to the LED panel and I snapped one trying to get it into the light fixture, but they are bright without being too bright unless I looked directly at them from close range and with all seven interior lights and three fans running for several hours, it only used about 20% of the battery capacity compared to about 45-50% used in roughly the same amount of time with the old incandescent bulbs. I'm pretty pleased considering the fans pull a lot of juice so changing the bulbs reduced the power draw of the lights a lot. I guess we'll wait to see how long they last, but at least they were super cheap so I won't be annoyed if they have to be replaced in a year or two.

My only concern at this point is that the only color temperatures I could find from any manufacturer are either around 2500-3000K (sunset "yellow") or 6500-7000K (almost "blue"). I'd really prefer to have something closer to the middle resembling natural sunlight...