Another off leash dog gripe

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by kudzu, Feb 21, 2017.

1. JunieB

JunieB Member

May 8, 2018
    Central Florida
    That attitude can be a "country folk-- city folk" kind of thing. I have cousins in the wilds of Kentucky, who think I am "mistreating" my dogs by having them always on leash, and when driving they are ALWAYS crated (together, big crate). Yet, that cousin doesn't hesitate to tell me how full of ticks their yard is-- especially the deer ticks (Lyme). When you have over 5 or more acres of land, the running free thing can work and the dog knows its limits--but of course, still some dogs killed by cars on the road.
    Now at CG mine are always on leash; or roped to picnic table, and have the time of their life rolling in the dirt and sitting by my side at campfire. One (rescued) cockapoo has separation anxiety. Thus, if he sees me walking away to go to restroom all kinds of whining/barking ensue. So, car crate is good for that time, too. Making sure of course, that the skylight is open for ventilation and out of the sun. I am known for very quick showers at state parks-- or none at all.
    I am so attentive to my dogs, yet my cousin still thinks I am "mistreating" by keeping them under good control, and having them sleep crated away from the ticky yard. Not sure what my mini-hound would do if he met a raccoon! Start a fight/ run like heck, I don't know!

2. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

Nov 25, 2015
    O
    Or their CAT. Last trip my friend's dogs were not happy with the cat next site that "kept getting out."

3. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I had no idea people brought cats camping. I guess if you were somewhere there were seasonals or something, but for a weekend trip it just seems like that wouldn't be worth it.

Orchid likes this.
  4. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2016
    We camp where I can let my dogs run free. However, I have them in my sight at all times. Bad things can happen in an instant, just like young kids they need supervision. Where we camp dogs are definitely are not at the top of the food chain.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  5. JunieB

JunieB Member

May 8, 2018
    Central Florida
    Some cats are leash trained. I had a friend who had two Abyssinians, both trained to sit outside on leash.

myride likes this.
  6. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

Nov 25, 2015
    I have seen leash trained cats and I think that is very cool. :)

myride likes this.
  7. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Some people, who are above the rules, arrived several hours ago.

Their dog checked out the entire loop while they were emptying tanks.

Then I was in the shower and dog came in bath house with owner. I heard her tell dog that they were going to walk along the beach, but he would need a leash for that.

Reality is NO dogs on beaches at all. Or in bath houses.

They are right across from us an dog just ran over here barking and growling at feral cat + babies. It's after dark.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  8. myride

myride Well-Known Member

May 14, 2015
    Edmonton, AB
    I'd be speaking to the office orchid...

Orchid likes this.
  9. JunieB

JunieB Member

May 8, 2018
    Central Florida
    Yes, report them to the campground host or manager. Surprising how some people can follow complex directions to a campsite, set up camper, figure out map of the area-- but can't read the rules saying all dogs on leash, or no dogs in a certain area.

Orchid likes this.
  10. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

This is mostly not a problem of reading, but a problem of thinking they are above said rules.

Orchid likes this.
  11. JunieB

JunieB Member

May 8, 2018
    Central Florida
    Sorta what I meant ;-)

Orchid likes this.
  12. Orchid

I did report them. Actually, turned out they had two large dogs. I only saw the one last night. Woke up this morning to the guy riding his bike around the loop with both dogs following him, unleashed.

Both are nice, friendly dogs, but not the point of it. When one came flying through our site last night growling and barking at a cat in the woods behind us, it was clear they did not have proper control of the dogs so can't even say they are trained.

I called the ranger this morning after he passed us, with dogs running behind, on his bike. I looked looked up the MSRP of their motorhome - $328k. There were people next to us camping all week who had a motorhome that I also looked up and was $198k and they were the nicest people - dog on a leash and followed the rules like any other camper, so can't say it's just rich people.

The ones with the loose dogs did have a "We own the place" look about them.

13. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    This camping thing in civilized campgrounds with uncivilized homeo sapiens is going to be interesting.... well, on a case by case basis. [?:~{]

Orchid likes this.
  14. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I have a small pen I put up for the chihuahuas, except Pebbles, she just climbs out and comes looking for ME and she stays right beside me. I do keep her on a leash and she tolerates it like the little lady she is. During my trip last week everyone had their dogs out walking and all were on a leash, also all were friendly and accepted treats (after asking the owner) and all seemed to enjoy meeting Pebbles.
    I personally think that dogs should be leashed because they can and will get in trouble off leash.
    (my opinion of course)

15. SongCamper

SongCamper Member

Jul 4, 2017
    Nashville
    That's a pet (LOL) peeve of mine as well.

16. michaeltdyer

michaeltdyer Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Denver Colorado
    My first thought was if an aggressive dog came into my campsite I would spray him with the bear mace I always have handy!

SongCamper likes this.
  17. mjbeam

mjbeam New Member

Sep 15, 2015
    Bear mace tends to linger and stink the site up for a while. These work pretty well:

[​IMG]

18. JunieB

JunieB Member

May 8, 2018
    Central Florida
    We have these little Armadillos at some FL state parks. They are not too bright. Will come right up and tease the on-leash dogs just out of reach. My understanding is they poor eyesight (armadillo, not dog). I would hate to see some off-leash dog rip into an Armadillo.

19. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Water gun filled with ammonia works really well, soak them down and the actually turn white too :)

TRR likes this.
  20. Orchid

That's completely wrong. It's not the dogs fault, go squirt the owner with ammonia, if you must squirt anyone.