Another rescue after being dumped

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by nineoaks2004, Sep 6, 2018.

1. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    About a week ago I noticed a small animals dart into the bushes about 1/4 mile from our house, it was so far away that I could not see exactly what it was. This morning I noticed a small Black Yorkie mix running across the road, I was concerned as we live on a very fast paced road, she eventually ran across the road from our house, I stayed out on the road to make sure she did not get run over. The DW came out and took over while I put the three watch dogs up. The DW opened the gate a bit and put some food down just inside the gate, the pup came right over and, since she was starving she just started eating right away. She turned out to be really friendly, but starved, her hair was a mess, eyes were matted and as the DW found out when she gave he a bath she had hundreds of fleas. She is a lovely little girl and happy as can be, we fed her several small meals today. It seems someone had just dumped her out to fend for herself and that is a shame, and if caught they should suffer the penalty of the law.
    Anyway it looks like we have another camping partner in the house.

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    Good for you! Keep this up and you'll need a bigger camper.

3. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    She is lucky to have been found by such good folks! I will never understand how someone could do that to an animal.

4. nineoaks2004

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Thank goodness that they are all small dogs. I have a 31' MH that I haven't used in over 2 years

5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    Well done. Are you sure it's a dog and not a large rat? :)

6. Camp Pineapple Gal

Camp Pineapple Gal New Member

Aug 7, 2018
    Aw, glad you found her!

Just make sure you check with local groups & have her checked for a microchip. Just in case she got lost and someone has been missing her! ❤️

hayyward likes this.
  7. nineoaks2004

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    We just found out that for sure She was dumped, one of the neighbors saw her being dumped but did not get a tag number.

Camp Pineapple Gal likes this.
  8. Camp Pineapple Gal

Camp Pineapple Gal New Member

Aug 7, 2018
    That's so sad!

9. Fixitup

Fixitup Active Member

Jun 7, 2016
    So who is the lucky one....you and wife....or the ....pup? Everything happens for a reason!

10. nineoaks2004

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    She seems to love us both, she follows whomever is outside and comes in when we do but Pebbles is her favorite, they play for hours.

Fixitup and fourhallatts like this.
  11. nineoaks2004

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Here is a picture of Mitzi Of course Pebbles got part of herself in the picture too :)

Attached Files:

Fixitup, fourhallatts and jnc like this.
  12. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Just got to say thank you for taking her in. Sadly in all my years in animal rescue, this is an all too common a problem. Sadly even if authorities were to catch whoever dumped the dog they would only get a slap on the wrist. Just thank gosh she found you before anything serious happened.

13. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

Jul 18, 2015
    North Syracuse, New York
    She is so cute! What a wonderful thing for you to do. We had a friend who took in a dog (Molly) who was dumped with a puppy. The puppy ran off but Molly stuck around. It took over a year to get her to come inside (he built a doghouse for her). When he got sick and passed away we took her in and she was a great, loving dog! She was also a great pal for our dog Skittles.

Attached Files:

14. Fixitup

Fixitup Active Member

Jun 7, 2016
    Looks likes shes a keeper.

15. nineoaks2004

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    We have seven dogs and all but one was a rescue. People just dump them out cat's too, because we are in farming country and just about everyone in the area has saved several rescues.
    This area takes a dim view of animal abuse and some have received jail sentences.

16. nineoaks2004

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    DW says Pebbles is my camping partner and Mitzi only goes when she and the rat pack go.:)

17. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

Nov 26, 2013
    Maryland
    Mitzi is a cutie. She seems to be a happy girl.
    All the pets we have ever had have been rescues, either picked them up from the road side or adopted from the shelter. They have all been great pets.

18. nineoaks2004

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I have noticed that the rescue dogs are usually always happy, They seem to recognize that they are at their forever home and also seem to respond to the love and kindness that we give them and appreciate being treated as one of the family and want to thank us in their own way. Cats are about the same way too.

19. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

Aug 8, 2013
    This always reminds me a story a few years back. I having lived in city and urban areas never seen a real coyote. When i moved to the suburb and start driving around will see German Shepard dogs dead on the road and get worked up. They looked smaller and starved. One day i am driving and point one to my wife and she starts laughing and could not stop. Well she was very happy i did not rescue one of these and bring it home.

She is born and brought up here and i am from india and never seen one of these till my mid 30s

20. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    wow a large mobile doghouse!