Anthony Lakes Campground

Discussion in 'Oregon' started by eklez, Jul 1, 2012.

1. eklez

eklez New Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Link to the website http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/pacficnw/wwcmp.htm
    We stayed here this weekend.
    The site is very pretty. access is easy, but as it is very high, 7400 ish, it doesn't open until the 1st weekend in July. The sites are paved, though most are very shallow. We found a double wide spot that allowed us to get our pup in fully and park beside it. Every site as a nice tent pad with wood beam boundaries and sand floors. There are no hook ups and the bathrooms are essentially holes in the ground. The park hosts are fantastic. They keep everything spotless. Firewood is available for 6 bucks a bundle. We made our last for 2 nights, though I must say we didn't stay out all that long around the fire as things cooled off fast once the sun went down.
    There is 1 high mtn lake right next to the site and several withing hiking distance. The fishing is good and the hiking is great with marked trails. Just remember to bring a warm jacket and plenty of bug spray!

2. DarthMuffin

DarthMuffin New Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Thanks for the review. I've heard it's really pretty up there and want to go some time.

Dunno if I can breathe at 7400 ft ;-)

3. PDieter

PDieter Member

Aug 16, 2011
    The Wallowas and Blues are very under appreciated/known destinations. Beautiful places. I met Tenzing Norgay up there at that campground in the late 60's when he was at a back country kids camp (something like nols I think) with Sir Hillary. Hillary was out on a hike when we visited so I missed meeting him.

I want to get my PUP over to the Grand Ronde sometime soon

4. eklez

eklez New Member

Jun 22, 2012
    I had no idea that Tenzing and Sir Hillary had ever visited here. What a privilege to have met one of them.

5. DarthMuffin

DarthMuffin New Member

Sep 16, 2010
    I just got back from a short trip to Anthony Lakes CG. Wow, it is pretty there! I'm definitely going back.

Eklez is right that the sites are shallow. With my 12' popup I had to park my car kind of diagonally to also get it in the campsite, but it worked. I had no problem getting a site, at 7PM the Friday of labor day weekend there were still plenty of free sites. Honestly I was kind of expecting it to be full and I'd have to keep driving.

It sure got cold at night, but got up to 65-70 during the day with clear skies.

I had heard the bugs were thick there but I didn't see a single mosquito, even while hiking to the other lakes. Bug season must be over already?

6. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

May 20, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    Thanks for the tip on that place. I've passed up and down I-84 many times but didn't know it was there.

7. DarthMuffin

DarthMuffin New Member

Sep 16, 2010
    On I84 between LaGrande and Baker City, look West and find the highest, craggy mountains. That's the place.

Trivia: Also known as "The Little Alps", and I can see why.

There's a group site too, looks like it might hold 6-8 popups comfortably. 10-12 packed. Rally?