Any advice on cutting off a hitch pin.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by jim1999, May 1, 2010.

1. jim1999

jim1999 New Member

Ok here is the deal. I went to remove my draw bar the other day and my key broke off in the lock completely flush with the lock. [:(!]

And before anyone says I should have lubricated the lock I did, 3x's in 2 days before even attempting to turn the key.

So anyway, I am looking for advice on cutting the lock off or the pin. Doesn't matter which as I am going to replace the entire set up anyway.

The lock is a "dead bolt" style like http://www.etrailer.com/Locks/DeadBolt/40107.html but the pin itself look like a standard hitch pin with the curve on the other end.

What would be better. Use a grinder with a cut off wheel or take it to a welding shop and have them use a torch to cut it off, or what?

2. He Ruide

He Ruide New Member

Jim,

If you already have a grinder with a cut off wheel I would try that first. Just be sure to wear safety glasses.

Ruide

3. awsandlin

awsandlin Active Member

A sawzall would be slower that a grinding wheel, but it might be able to get in there where the grinding wheel can't. You might wear a blade out, but they are less than $2.00 and you can get one that will cut through the pin.

4. rocketspen

rocketspen New Member

We had the that problem too a few years back. Reciprocating Saw aka Sawzall took care of it. Good Luck.

5. ARWCanuck

ARWCanuck Member

A hacksaw and a case of Red Bull?

Seriously, I think the cutoff wheel or reciprocating saw is your best bet. Good luck!

6. themanfromvan

themanfromvan Van, PA - Near The PA Wilds

I think you may have made up my mind for me regarding the locking pin that came with our Trailblazer. That thing is coming OFF

7. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

If you had to a Dremel with a cut off wheel that would work rather quickly as well. You've got me nervous now, that lock looks similar to the Master brand lock on my trailer, I better check that today, first trip coming right up.

8. brownsrlz

brownsrlz New Member

Same problem last year.Except I lost my key. I used a cutoff wheel and it worked good.

9. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

I would also vote for the cutoff wheel but then it's what I have in the garage. I never leave the ball mount in the hitch so I 've never had a need for a lock. As soon as I unhitch the PUP, the ball mount comes off and is stowed in the back of the TV. I put a cover on the ball to keep from getting grease on anything. Learning from past experiences, I keep the receiver and ball mount clean and coated to prevent corrosion. Big problem for us Northerners.

10. Big_kid

Big_kid Virginia Beach, VA

You have a PM on the way.

EDIT: Sent email instead.

11. barb_dave

barb_dave Active Member

I would go with a grinder and cut off disc.

If you have a dremmel with a cut off disc that would work well too plus with its smaller size you could get into a tight space.

12. nick9882

nick9882 New Member

I had the same thing happen to me.I tried a angle grinder but it wouldnt fit,i used a sawzall.About 10 seconds and it was off.

13. beemerboy

beemerboy New Member

I had that happen to me with a Masterlock brand pin. I took it to a welding shop and for a beer he cut it off with a torch.

I now remove the drawbar whenever I don't need it. No more rusty locks for this kid......

14. jenoble99

jenoble99 New Member

I had this happen on an old TV. I used a die grinder with a cut off wheel. I would think an angle grinder would be to large, but the die grinder fit just fine. A dremel with a cut off wheel would work as well. I've used a dremel to cut bearing races, you'll go through a few discs but it will get the job done.

15. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

Put the drawbar in place and use a regular hitch pin without a lock...after about 3 months there will be no danger of it being stolen as it will be rusted in place.Must be the Minnesota Nice thing but I have never had nor heard of anyone I know having a drawbar stolen out of the receiver,the only ones I know of that were stolen were stolen from the toolbox and the back of the truck. I'd go with a sawzall with a good blade.

16. barb_dave

barb_dave Active Member

We just use a regular hitch pin. Whenever we're not towing the camper I remove the hitch. This way it won't get rusted into the receiver. Also I don't like leaving it on because it seems whenever I do more often than not I'm banging my shins on the thing.

17. jim1999

jim1999 New Member

Must be something with that brand. That is what I have on there. A Master lock pin lock. I had the coupler lock too but that gave me problems the first time I used it and I tossed it in the trash can and bought a long shanked pad lock for the coupler.

Once I get this stupid lock taken care of the next fun will be getting the draw bar off. It has been in there for almost 3 years now. I tried to pull it off last year and I know it is stuck in there good. Been spraying it almost daily with penetrating oil. Right now I am thinks Oak tree and logging chain. [:D] [:D]

18. adamteja

adamteja New Member

If the toothy part of the key is in there.... have you tried simple craming in a large flathead screw driver and wrenching on it?

19. ARWCanuck

ARWCanuck Member

I had one get stuck on my old truck. I "threw it in for free" when I sold the truck a few years ago. There was no way it was coming off!

20. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

Just make sure it is your oak tree and there is no one any within 3x the length of your chain. I saw a former neighbor hook up to the streetlight pole and give it hell...,it is amazing how funny a GMC van looks when crushed into a V from a fallen light pole :).Totaled Van-$6000, Light pole and associated electrical work $4000, fine for destruction of city property with court costs $1000. Look on his wife's face PRICELESS! all that for a $25 drawbar!