Any advice on installing peel and stick vinyl?

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by WinHac, Jul 10, 2018.

1. WinHac

WinHac New Member

Nov 30, 2016
    Getting ready to install some peel and stick vinyl floorboards but don't know where to start I'm not pulling the cabinets. I just don't want things to look crooked or not square. There is no wall with nothing on the floor to get a first complete straight corse to work off of. Do I just line up my first course along a wall and cabinet and go to it? Anyone got any tips for a clean looking install?

Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    This might be easier then explaining. https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.wikihow.com/Use-the-3-4-5-Rule-to-Build-Square-Corners?amp=1

Just remember it's hard for everything to be perfect, so make sure it looks good to the eye as well. Start in the corners you see the most first and end where it's not as visible. You might need corner round on the outside to hide the ends of the tiles. Prep it first, they used to sell a precoat simpler to wallpaper precoat to help the tiles stick better. Good luck , I haven't done them in quite some time.

3. Kiddingaround

Kiddingaround New Member

Jun 28, 2018
    West Virginia
    1460"]Getting ready to install some peel and stick vinyl floorboards but don't know where to start I'm not pulling the cabinets. I just don't want things to look crooked or not square. There is no wall with nothing on the floor to get a first complete straight corse to work off of. Do I just line up my first course along a wall and cabinet and go to it? Anyone got any tips for a clean looking install?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I would suggest get something that don't look square ... floor boards
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Achim-T...Vinyl-Tile-45-sq-ft-case-FTVWD22345/303036881

Raycfe likes this.
  4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    I would never use peel and stick again. They seem to move as the camper flex’s down the street

Kiddingaround likes this.
  5. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    There have been lots of unhappy stories about peel and stick on the boards here. It is typically not a positive outcome. The best outcomes have involved priming the floor well or using construction adhesive on the tiles..

6. WinHac

WinHac New Member

Nov 30, 2016
    The ones i have are plank style I bought some cleaner / stripper for vinyl floors am hoppIng that will get me good adhesion.

7. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    I would still use sizing. It will definitely help.

8. WinHac

WinHac New Member

Nov 30, 2016
    Sizing?

9. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    The stuff I mentioned before, the wallpaper primer. It's old school, but when I did painted apartments it was all they used before the peel and stick tiles went down. Seals the floor and is tacky for better adhesion.

10. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Another option, might be the hard vinal tiles, that you have to trowl on the glue?

11. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I don’t start in a corner. Square it up with the door and measure so your cuts will be close to symmetrical on both sides. Run the full pieces squared up in the middle. Then you can cut the dead ends to size and actually have it look square.

12. Overland

Overland Member

May 1, 2013
    Bristol, Pa
    I'm in middle of installing vinyl plank flooring now, just primed the new plywood yesterday. Hope to lay the peel and stick vinyl plank tomorrow.

I did some research prior, some say that most adhesion issues can be contributed to poor surface prep. I'll find out soon enough..

This is what I used, as suggested in a few threads here. https://www.lowes.com/pd/TEC-Indoor...MIg7rzyIWW3AIVAovICh1shwRlEAQYASABEgJ4hPD_BwE

Sjm9911 likes this.
  13. Overland

Overland Member

May 1, 2013
    Bristol, Pa

We did this job this morning, thought you might want to see how it turned out. Thus far.. i'm happy.

http://www.popupportal.com/threads/overlands-88-coleman-colorado.118947/page-2#post-1216764

roybraddy likes this.
  14. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    OVERLAND - Love the wood grain....

Overland likes this.
  15. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    Sizing is better than the vinyl adhesive? I use to hang wallpaper in apartments and I would get the powered glue and mix it with water in a 5 gallon bucket and roll it on with a paint roller. I don't even notice wallpaper at Lowes anymore.