Any other Jayco Baja owners?

Discussion in 'Camper Manufacturers & Manuals' started by nighthawk, Apr 21, 2011.

1. ERock62

ERock62 New Member

Dec 14, 2015
    [​IMG]

Last weekend

2. SMAR

SMAR Member

Aug 2, 2014
    that place looks awesome! where were you?

3. ERock62

ERock62 New Member

Dec 14, 2015
  4. CO Hiker

CO Hiker Active Member

Dec 6, 2015
    Colorado
    We just picked up a 2006 Jayco Baja 10Z this week. Getting it ready to camp locally during Spring Break and put it through the paces. Minor hardware fixes like a travel door seal, locking top latches, and really little stuff. Yay. Big enough for our three furry kids too! 6 inches of snow yesterday, 50 degrees Monday/Tues and sunny.

Attached Files:

5. ERock62

ERock62 New Member

Dec 14, 2015
    Last desert trip of the season last weekend. Was getting warm.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Taking the trailer in next week to get service on the brakes and bearings repacked since we are doing a longer trip to the Sierra's in late June.

6. BPT

BPT New Member

Jun 7, 2016
    New to the forum and recently picked up a 2008 Baja 10Y. We've been on a few trips so far and it's been great.

Attached Files:

7. ERock62

ERock62 New Member

Dec 14, 2015
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had my sister and bil in front of my with walkie talkies since this road is so shady and nasty.

8. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    I looked at the JAYCO - Fleetwoods - Starcrafts in 2008 when I was looking...

I narrowed it down to the Fleetwood and Starcraft real quick back then... I just could not convince the wife the FLEETWOOD was the one with the BLACK and GRAY decor and when she saw the interior decor on the Starcraft she was sold haha... The other Fleetwood we looked at was bright YELLOW in color

Also the 2008 Starcraft 14RT series had the 2x8 heavy frames so that is what I ended up with.. It is also using a 12-foot box...

The thing I liked about the almost look alike Fleetwood was the fold-out kitchen seats and table giving you more foot room inside it...

My 2008 Starcraft has the wrap around seating inside which is neat in itself...

[​IMG]
    Google image

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

We have visited all the high country in VA-NC-TN-SC-AL-GA and have gone as far West as Texas and Okla pulling ours... It weighs in at 4200lbs on the road... We only use our front deck for supplies etc...

Roy Ken

9. bajachris

bajachris New Member

Aug 23, 2016
    Hey All,
    New to the forum but have had my Baja since 2006. Gotta say I love doing mods. From very simple to kinda complex and am always looking for the next project. Good to see a lot of you here cause I never see any Baja's out camping.

10. MTBDad

MTBDad New Member

Sep 15, 2013
    Hi, I have a 10z. I'm starting to get into some mods. What mods have been your favorite so far?

11. bajachris

bajachris New Member

Aug 23, 2016
    MTBDad,
    My favorite mod was more like a series of mods in an effort to make the battery last longer. We almost never camp with hookups. It started with putting a LED lights in. Then adding dual batteries with an isolations switch that allows me to pull from left battery, right battery , both at the same time or neither (off). Then I installed 2 x 100w solar panels with a mppt controller and finally a trimetric meter to read how much power I am pulling or replacing. I can now listen to the radio all day if I want, watch tv, charge electronics, use lights as I want, run the heater, water pumps and pretty much not have to be too worried about running out of juice. With this set up we went camping for 2 weeks without hook ups and had no problems from lack of power. Hope this helps.

Bajachris

MTBDad likes this.
  12. ERock62

ERock62 New Member

Dec 14, 2015

Anyone interested in our trailer? Looking for a quick (cheap) sale. I am sad to see it go but given all the health stuff my wife has gone through this year we are going a different route and getting a Toy Hauler and a Side by side.

13. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Aug 28, 2012
    SW Montana
    Any revival to this thread?

Looking at a 2006 10Y or a 2007 Hybrid. I'm leaning towards the 10Y because it has the platform for my dirtbikes, has a king bed vs the hybrid's queen, is more off-road capable (yes, I do take them off-road), is lighter and be easier to pull with my tired pickup, and also the price. I can get it for $1000 less than the hybrid.

I've owned 5 different tent trailers in the last 5yrs searching for the one model that I'd be happiest with. I've sold them all for a variety of reasons, but this one has just about everything I'm looking for. I do wish that it had the gaucho to make into a 4th bed, if necessary. But other than that, its in fine shape and reasonably priced. My wife really appreciates the outside shower, too. I gave my last Pup to my brother, but kept all my goodies (propane tank, battery, solar, etc). If I do buy this 10Y, it comes with 2 new/full tanks and 2 new batteries........BONUS! Dealer is asking $5500. Little more than book value, but the Baja style of Pups are really hard to find in my neck of the woods. Will likely make the deal next weekend.

14. CO Hiker

CO Hiker Active Member

Dec 6, 2015
    Colorado
    Our NTU '06 10z was listed at $5K but we picked it up at $4500 after the obligatory trip through the store. Practically new on the inside and out so either the previous owner used it very little or babied it. There was a nickel sized gouge in the vinyl flooring and minor hail damage to the roof. I don't have a second battery (yet) but have two tanks also. The chassis is straight and clean, no rot underneath and I just put new tires on it because the old ones were 10yo. Good luck.

Attached Files:

15. catalyst

catalyst New Member

Sep 29, 2017
    Colorado
    Hello Folks,

My wife and I just purchased a 2006 Baja 10Z. We are the third owners and it appears to be in very good shape with just a couple little cosmetic blemishes. I grew up tent camping and the wife grew up RV camping so the off road pop up is a nice compromise. We are in northern Colorado and looking forward to going on our first trip next weekend. Open to suggestions on good camping locations and I am looking to make some modifications to make it more of an off grid rig. Solar panel's and a second battery are in our future for sure. Suggestions and pics are always appreciated. IMG_0976.JPG

Attached Files:

16. catalyst

catalyst New Member

Sep 29, 2017
    Colorado
    Do you have any pictures of your set up with solar/battery/controller or even a write up? Looking to do something similar to be off grid and would appreciate a point in the right direction.

17. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Aug 28, 2012
    SW Montana
    1.jpg 2.jpg a.jpg

I used existing bolt holes on the sides of the top. The original bolts attach to the metal framing on the inside of the roof supports. Didn't want to put holes in the roof, so I used what the factory already had in place. As you can see in the 3rd pic, there is room for our kayak and paddle board. Total weight of everything on the roof, including the rack, is just under 200 lbs. I think I recall reading in the owner's manual that 200 is the limit. Haven't hauled my dirt bikes up there yet (need to mount wheel chocks), but barely visible in this pic is the ATV, fuel/water cans, anti-gravity chairs, beer/sodas, fishing poles, and a BBQ. Didn't have it weighed, but I'm guessing there was nearly 800 lbs of additional weight on the tongue, not including the dual 6v batteries and 2 propane tanks. This is why I tow with the Excursion. No other SUV is rated for 1100+ lb TW.

18. BajaMachine2k18

BajaMachine2k18 New Member

Feb 5, 2019
    Hey everyone new to this and the pop up world, I've always roughed it tent or no tent sorta thing but last yearmy friends and I went to Glamis Dunes in just a cabover Angler and I was sold. I am currently looking to get a 2008 Baja 10y from some family friends and I wanted to see what anyone has to say about that model if they've had it. any tips or tricks for the pop up world too? Thank you