Any recommendations for mattress toppers?

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by Tulip, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Tulip

Tulip Active Member

DH would like a little extra padding on our bunk end. We don't have any extra space between the bed and the roof (have trouble closing it with the bedding on) so we are likely going to need something that can come off the bed for transport.
    We already have the anti-fatigue mats underneath.
    Does anyone have any brands or suggestions re reasonable thickness for a topper? Thanks!

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

We kept a two inch topper on our end of the pup and were still able to close the roof. If you'd like to see how much room you have available, take an empty tissue box and set it on the bed. Close and latch the roof. Reopen it and see how tall the tissue box ended up. Go from there.

As far as brands go, we've purchase at least ten toppers for various beds and have never noticed a difference in brands. They all seem to be equally comfortable and equally durable.

3. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Well-Known Member

If you plan to remove it every time you close up, get the thickest one you can store. That way you at least get the most comfort for the inconvenience of having to remove it each time.

kcsa75 likes this.
  4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Ive seen some use blow up mattresses also. Just an idea.

5. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

I have air mattresses. But remember to fold them in away from moving parts. I ripped one this week closing the pup.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

I use a 2" foam topper and am able to store it on the dinette when traveling. Even when it's doubled over to fit, there is still space for the bed to slide over it.

Tulip likes this.
  7. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I got the Big One toppers from Kohls. If you watch for their sales, you can get any size for $29.99.

I have two on each bed - house, clipper and FnR. With the egg crate style (which I put facing down), they squish a bit further. With the FnR, the two toppers squish enough to drop the top with the bedding still on. And they are very very comfortable - Moose-dog has bad hips and he will stay in bed until I demand he has to get up because it feels so good to him.

8. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I just bought the thickest one I could find that would fit and was a good price. The one I got was just square foam, no egg grate style. It is mighty comfy, but I can't keep bedding on so the beds get unmade every time I drop the roof. It is a pain, and one of my biggest complaints, but I sleep amazing so I just have to tell myself that is the price I pay for blissful sleep in the woods. I think I got mine from wally world, but they were on clearance so I got them cheap. I had to get kings and trim them since a queen was too small for my bunks.

9. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

We ordered a 3-inch topper for ours. I also have laid down those carpet squares with sticky back from LOWEs on both tent bed ends... Had to cut a couple of places but that really helped both in heat control and padding for the oem mattress to lay on it.. My roof just touches the top of the 3-inch foam topper... Works good for us... Be sure your ceiling lights disable switch is working to keep your ceiling lights off when the top is down...

I liked the way that turned out so well I did the same thing to the POPUP trailer floor... This is actually not that best of a good idea as we do a lot of camping off-grid and I have no idea how all the woods gets inside the trailer floor haha... I even have one of those heavy duty folding entrance grates that you can really stomp hard on before climbing up the steps... I still track in a lot of stuff... I was probably doing without the carpet squares just didn't notice it. The DARK BLUE color Carpet is probably the worse color you can have in this situation haha...

It looks pretty however... Got dark green under the tent beds and dark blue on the trailer floors... I did install a piece of metal directly in front of the Propane Furnace fan. It gets a little warm in that location when the heater is running...

It sure is nice to jump out of bed on the cold mornings and hit the blue carpet with the feet...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  10. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Active Member