Anyone been to Palomar Mountain?

Discussion in 'California' started by Barrelpup, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Barrelpup

Barrelpup New Member

Sep 10, 2016
    I tried searching the forum but all I come up with is an error. Palomar mountain was suggested to us and we're thinking of heading out on a whim Friday. I tread making reservations, but they only offer 'walkup' and reservations for ADA sites. While I do have a disabled placard, it's my mom's and she won't be with us. And I don't want to be a ****** or get a fine. So how do walkups work? Are they like first come first served or yellow posts elsewhere? Can I show up early Friday and get a spot?

2. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Aug 22, 2013
    San Diego via MN
    Yes, I've been there. Nice CG, but half is for reservations and half are FCFS, which is very confusing at which is which as the reserved sites should have a paper card on the post, should...

However there is a camp host which is who I asked at what spots were open.

I highly recommend to take the tour of the 200in telescope, there is a nice hike up to it or drive. Check when they have the tours as they fill up fast.

There isn't any food/drinks at the store so pack your snacks!

And FYI you can search here through google such as:

Palomar Mountain Campground www.popupportal.com

Copy that line and paste in a google search.

3. kevinpf

kevinpf New Member

Jul 5, 2015
    Southern California
    2x ^^^
    Nice Campground

4. MyName

MyName Active Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Ca
    I've been there. Very nice, but no cell reception. That may be a good thing. It is very hilly/mountainous so if someone has trouble walking it will be difficult to leave your campsite. One campsite we had 7 steps to get up to it. several steps down to get to the bathrooms. I liked it there and my kids like it there even if the got hurt crashing their bikes on the hilly paved path. The other adults opinions varied.
    edit: gee I just realized i commented on an old post. oh well.