anyone remove their wet bath and replace with shower+portapotty?

Discussion in 'Port-A-Potties / Cassette Toilets / Bath Houses' started by Dingit, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Because it's winter, I'm thinking about things to do to my poor popup.

I have a 2008 Fleetwood highwall Arcadia (almost same as Niagara). It has a black tank toilet instead of a cassette in the wet bath. There is a small gray tank for the sink and shower. The black and gray dump lines share a single exit which makes offloading gray into a portable tank icky. (At minimum, that needs to be changed.)

The bathroom is okay as a toilet room, although the toilet is a little high. I really did prefer my old portapotty for ease of cleaning and emptying. When it comes to showering, the toilet takes up way too much space in a pretty small area.

So, if I took out the toilet and shower pan (because it's built for that toilet) and replaced it with a shower pan that took the whole space, I could have the easy-to-use portapotty that I prefer AND a larger space for showers. Since we have kids, it would be a better place for changing clothes as well. (You'd take the potty out for showers, and it's much smaller than the built-in toilet so there would be more space for changing.)

If I have the skills to do this--I'll have to open it up and see just how tricky it would be--why shouldn't I? What important considerations have I missed? Resale, sure, although I am someone who would prefer not to have someone else's decade+ old black tank. What else?

Here is an image of the wet bath of an '07 Niagara that is for sale--this is what mine looks like (except they didn't put the door on or latch it properly...incidentally, we looked at the '18 Rockwoods and they still haven't figured out how to do bathroom walls that work this well!):
    [​IMG]

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Interesting idea. I've never done it myself but Im sure it can be done. I think your hardest would be to find a way to keep the water contained. The plumbing would still be in place so I don't think that will be too hard. I agree I prefer the porta potty or cassette vrs a black tank.

3. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    I'd just need a bigger shower pan that fits the entire space exactly and has the drain in the same spot. [LOL] How hard could that be?

I'm not sure what the original shower curtain arrangement was, but I was using one that almost hits the floor (except it's a little short where it drapes over the toilet). The pan itself is about 3" deep and since I haven't really inspected the caulking, I just covered up everything else. It's a lot of curtain...

4. lovelymae

lovelymae Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Hanford, California
    We have the Coleman Niagara and removed our entire wet bath but saved the potty then put it on wheels and built a cabinet around it so you wouldn't have to see it. You just pull it out when you need it and roll it away when you don't. It is still accessible from the outside of the trailer too for emptying. Here are a few photos of the before and after.

IMG_0097.JPG
    Screen Shot 2019-02-10 at 6.39.29 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-02-10 at 6.40.33 PM.png
    We posted the progress with more photos on our blog for more details:
    http://theparkertravels.blogspot.com/2017/04/demo-day-part-2_9.html
    http://theparkertravels.blogspot.com/2017/06/potty-talk.html

TinyCamperPro likes this.
  5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Ok , so i dont have a black tank? How big is the black and gray tanks? Do you prefer not to use full hook up campsights? I have the shower with the ford cassette, i dont have any room given my size. But thats is true for most showers as im 6"6' . For showers i sit on the toilet seat, lid closed. I caulked the whole area good. And use the wand. Make me feel like less of a man but hey, at least im clean! For changing, how about a pop up tent outside? Or an outside shower? Better yet, maybe look into seperating the bkack and gray tanks? Should be easier then replacing what you have, but im unsure of the setup? Just ideas to pinder. My two cents, worth exactly that, maybe less

6. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    That makes a lot of sense, Mae, although I'm not ready to give up my shower! I do wish I had the cassette toilet instead of the black tank. I'd learn to fit around that. Since the kids are now at that age it is nice to have a private area for things.

SJM, the black tank is 8-9 gallons. It has to be emptied at a dump station with the stinky slinky and all. There are rarely dump stations where we camp so we end up using the sewer cleanout at home and you can't really rinse it and it's just not my thing. The gray tank is separate, a paltry 20 gallons or so (but it exists!). I do need to swap the drain thing (I don't know the terms--sorry!) so I can dump it into a tote. Right now both the black and gray go into a shared outlet. Having them entirely separate would help with the ick factor.

We don't camp with hookups but can usually dump gray water if needed. Portapotty can be dumped in a vault toilet which are usually around, but I'm not gonna package up that black stuff into a tote myself. [:(O] (We have a lot of experience with a portapotty and never had issues with it filling too fast so I'm not too worried about this black tank, or a portapotty, getting full.)

I don't want to kill the bathroom. It's not THAT bad. It just could be BETTER! You can still change in it, toilet in it, and shower in it. I've done the outside shower tent and this isn't bad enough to do THAT again.

And I can barely reach the ceiling in there on my tippy toes, but that is neither here nor there. Just a gloat. :)

7. lovelymae

lovelymae Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Hanford, California
    Ah! I didn't realize you didn't want to give up the shower. We always use showers at the campground and didn't want one in the trailer so ripping it out was a no brainer. (We also don't have kids)

But I agree I would opt for anything that you can empty on your own without having to use a black tank. Ours is a cassette toilet and its super easy to clean and not terribly gross. The porta potty route in the PUP can be just as bulky or even more so than the one you already have. An idea would be to tear out the toilet thats in there and buy a porta potty and put it in the shower tent and stick both outside so you have even more space in the shower/changing room and less smell in the PUP! You can get them pretty cheap this one is $60 on Amazon but I've seen even cheaper out there if you look. https://amzn.to/2GyK0SG

Good luck!

8. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    In that case , its a lot more involved. And i dont really have experience with this stuff. But rip out the toilet, cut off the water supply to it, make sure the shower will still get water. Rip out the black tank. Cut off the vent line i see. Then cut the pan out and reinstall rubber membrane arount fir the new pan, the tile. But Its still not a great idea , now that im thinking about it. Usally stuff to be water tight requires that its layered , think of a roof. So the water sheads off the top layer , and runs down. The material is usally overlapped. Hard to say if you can do this without ripping out the entire shower. I would then get the poerta potty. Its possable to do with rebuilding the whole thing, not sure about trying to just replace the pan.

9. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Ohhhhhh see there you go. I forgot about the water line. I would have remembered it the hard way. :p

Yeah, that's another thing I could do without. The vent! It actually snakes up through the roof and makes tucking in the tent a tiny teensy bit more effort at that spot.

As far as waterproofing, I already treat it as though only the pan is waterproof. The toilet body has gaps and I don't know where they go. The cassette shoilets like Mae's used to be are pretty clear that it's meant to be waterproof all the way up.

So, in theory, I'd have to cut power and water to toilet, remove toilet, remove vent, remove shower pan, fix floor maybe, replace shower pan with one that is miraculously the same size as the whole bathroom, connect drain (probably have to reroute it), caulk, put rubber feet on the bottom of my old portapotty, and be done?

10. lovelymae

lovelymae Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Hanford, California
    Ya we had to cut through all the caulking on the toilet to separate ours from the shower pan. It was pretty easy to remove once we did that.

11. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    At least the shoilet has (had) the waterproof TP holder! :)