Anyone try the steadyfast system??

Discussion in 'Stabilizing Your Camper' started by 4xMeteor, Mar 28, 2017.

1. 4xMeteor

4xMeteor Active Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Georgia
    Just got back from our first trip and DW was not happy with the "wobbling", so on our next trip I was going to try a couple jacks and/or other things to see what happens. But... DW, being a research-a-holic, stubborn, impatient and wanting to stabilize the trailer yesterday found this system online. Anyone use it? know anyone that uses it?

http://www.steadyfast.com/

2. mpking

mpking Active Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    Interesting. I think the mechanical concept is sound. (Triangular braces)

What alot of people have reported is that chocking your wheels *Real Good* will remove most of the wobbles.

3. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I've read this too. When backing up, have someone put the rear chocks under the wheels, then back up a couple of inches, set the front ones in tight. Never tried it since the wobble doesn't bother me, but sounds like a good thing to try.

4. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

May 21, 2010
    Sutter Creek CA
    Most of your wiggle is going to be from the axle being free. As stated above applying pressure or binding the tires with chalks will reduce the effects of the shimmy. A braking wheel chock will clamp the tires through a threaded rod that applies pressure to both sides if the wheel. It will accomplish the same as using standard chocks and your tv to bind it.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...UKEwj74KKGyvrSAhVfHGMKHdmjCA4Qwg8IMCgA&adurl=

This coupled with a ball leveler, will all but eliminate that annoying shimmy.

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Those are like the JT Strong Arms... Might work a bit, but you better off chocking both the high and the low side tires and stabilize all 4 corners of the trailer..

6. 4xMeteor

4xMeteor Active Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Georgia
    Thanks all! I do have a set of BAL X-Chalks which I think should help a lot - I don't think I had them properly tightened our first trip.

7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    You do know those X-chocks are not ment to be the sole chocks used on the tires.. They are designed to be used along with proper chocks to reduce wiggle..

8. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

May 21, 2010
    Sutter Creek CA
    I can't find a user manual for the 28020 single but all the literature advertised says "Prevents trailer from rolling". The tandem axle X chock doesn't (by experience). Either way, it will reduce or eliminate the shimmy.

9. Fleetwood Max

Fleetwood Max Member

Aug 14, 2005
    St Louis. Mo
  10. dockterj

dockterj New Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Just finished servicing the stabilizers on our NTU 02 Cheyenne. Coming from a 96 Yukon with the fold down stabs the Cheyenne was about 10 times better (it has screw down stabs). I just finished installing the BAL stabilizer bars
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001UGNJ60/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Makes it enough better that I think they are worth it. The pup is really steady now. Installation was really easy - they came with good hardware.

Got them on Amazon warehouse deals - I just add stuff to my wish list and check until there is a return and get it cheap (there is a set of stabilizer bars right now for $54 if you have prime).

11. 4xMeteor

4xMeteor Active Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Georgia
    Just got back from our third trip, TT was more stable this time as I am learning how to set it up properly. When DW is happy, then it's good:) Haven't added anything extra yet, gonna see how it goes on the next couple trips. If DW stays happy, then nothing more to do - if not I'll start looking at more options, like the JT or Steadyfast system.

12. mpking

mpking Active Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    The few times I've been wobbly, I've found one or two of my stabilizers were not fully deployed. Usually from the camper shifting from me doing something else. (Sand / Soft Ground a couple of times, me tweaking the leveling once)

13. noahnsteph

noahnsteph New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    I find our pop up to be way more stable than our Jayco X23B hybrid. With the dual torsion axles I cannot seem to get all of the wiggle out of the trailer. I've even thought of putting a scissor jack under the frame between the front and rear axles to take the weight off the axles themselves since they seem to be the culprit.

14. mpking

mpking Active Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    Have you tried an X chock?
    [​IMG]

15. noahnsteph

noahnsteph New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Oh, yeah. I have the X chock. It's the torsion axles themselves that keep bouncing no matter how well I chock the tires.