Anyone Using Goodyear HMG 2020's AKA U-Haul Tires?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by ASUVAN, May 28, 2015.

1. ASUVAN

ASUVAN New Member

May 23, 2015
    Had the tires replaced with Goodyear HMG2020's. They are an 8-ply "D-load" tire that run up to 65 PSI. As the pictures show, they are the same tires U-Haul uses. We're about to embark on an 8,000 mile trip and I was curious if anyone else has used them. Specifically, are they radial, or bias ply? Retailer, Discount Tire (America's Tire) says bias ply, Goodyear says radial. How are they at 70 MPH? Anyone have any issues?

Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Ummm, dumb question here but if they are for general retail sale, why do they say "Property of U-Haul Not for...(can't see the rest)" on the sidewalls? [?:~{]

3. CamperMike

CamperMike Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Bias. ST205/75D14 where D= bias ply. It would have an R in that spot if it were radial.

4. Wayne In Florida

Wayne In Florida Member

Jul 5, 2013
    As said above.....KEEP the receipt.... and canceled check or something U Haul has all part parts stamped with there name for a reason.....I would call the folk you got them from and ask questions..

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Did these fall off the back of a delivery truck or roll out the back door of a Uhual place? Cause I agree with Wayne and bondebond something funny about you having these tires on your pup ..

6. Tyreguy

Tyreguy Member

Apr 8, 2012
    Goodyear and U-Haul parted ways a while back...and lots of tire companies have these in stock (including ours) to keep on hand for U-Haul. Since the contract between them is null and void, they are ours to sell. Goodyear doesn't want them back. They are Bias ply tires.

7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Good to know.. how far back did they part ways? As this then brings the age of the tire into question ??

Years back when I was looking for tires for the pup, I called a couple local shops who wanted to sell me Cooper trailer tires .. I made a mid day long distance phone call to Cooper Tires and was told it had been at least 10 years since Cooper had made trailer tires, so what was being offered as "new" was actually old in terms of age.. new in they hadn't been used.

8. Tyreguy

Tyreguy Member

Apr 8, 2012
    Snow- IIRC it was late last year when things went south between them. The tires should be fairly fresh in terms of age.
    As far as your Cooper dilemma is concerned, Cooper hasn't built a Cooper branded trailer tire in a while...but they do build tires for other companies. The salesman probably said they were Cooper, knowing full well they were only built in a Cooper plant, but not branded as such. Cooper builds dozens of other brands in their plants that are not in fact Cooper tires.

9. ASUVAN

ASUVAN New Member

May 23, 2015
    So Discount Tire has these inflated to 60PSI, even though the placard on the trailer says 35 PSI. I feel like I want them at 65 which is the maximum on the sidewall, no?

10. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Aug 14, 2008
    In this case, the tire sidewall wins. The placard on the trailer has no idea what tire you're currently running. Always inflate them to maximum listed pressure.

And thanks for the info, Tyreguy.

11. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Nope he gave me Cooper model numbers .. when I spoke to people at Cooper Tire, they explained that the last RV tires they made had been for Kenda Tires, but even that contract was done.. When I questioned the tire shop and asked for the date code they suggested I look somewhere else for my tires as they decided they weren't going to sell me what they had ..

To the OP.. as mentioned, inflate the tires to the sidewall pressure.. did you replace all three tires or just the two ?

12. AlcHemIE

AlcHemIE New Member

May 5, 2015
    Thats sounds as shady as they come, and if i were i would report them before they put 10 year old tires on some poor uneducated guys trailer and he ends up having a blowout killing sombody. Buisness's like that.... [:(!] [:(!] [:(!]

13. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Almost as bad as the dealer (sells the same brand as what our pup was) who tried to sell me under sized tires saying they would be just as good if I didn't load up the trailer ..

14. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

Mar 7, 2012
    Pep Boys replaced D rated tires with C rated tires (the D rated were about 100% GVWR) and when I called them back they immediately replaced the tires w D rated.

15. ASUVAN

ASUVAN New Member

May 23, 2015
    UPDATE: Just completed an 8,500 mile trip around the country with these tires on our loaded, high-walled 2004 Starcraft Centennial 3606 pop-up. Zero tire failures, Cruise set at 71 MPH on Interstates. Very satisfied with the tires, hit all kinds of potholes at speed. Would highly recommend these tires for piece of mind. Kept them inflated to 65 PSI cold.

[​IMG]

16. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Good to know, glad they have held up through your trip

17. turborich

turborich Active Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I would think that being made for U-Haul that they would be a quality tire. They've had enough trailer problems in the past and doubt if they would want anymore. I wouldn't hesitate to run those bias tires.

18. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Glad you had a great trip. I doubt these tires are too easy to find. I think you cannot go wrong with a GY Marathon or a Maxxis tire. These forums seems to agree those are dependable tires.

19. turborich

turborich Active Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Las Vegas, NV.
    These are "commercial grade" trailer tires. Probably better than anything else available to the public. [2C]