Are BAL Light Trailer Tire Leveler's really necessary?

Discussion in 'Leveling Your Camper' started by barbjmj, Feb 15, 2010.

1. barbjmj

barbjmj Member

I've read "BAL Leveler" referenced in many posts. I finally did a search to figure out what they are. Okay, now I know.

My question is...are they really necessary? I remember growing up family members would use stacks of 6" wide boards of varying lengths to level a camper. I suppose that just adds weight - something we didn't think about then.

Any idea what percentage of PUP owners use the BAL levelers? What has been folk's experience with them? Do you find them worth the cost? (Camping World has them for about $90).

Thanks for the education!

2. wardog

wardog Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Texas
    We use the links leveling system. I have not bought a balance leveler and am not planning on it. I have hear a lot of people that really like them but no you don't have to have them. With the balance leveler it is easier because you place the leveler around the tire and then lift it till it is were you need. As for me I drive up on the links blocks and if I need to be higher or lower back off and adjust. Use what works for you.

3. mkaz

mkaz New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    I just found a BAL deal here and am very pleased with it so far. (Search for the BAL leveler deal on the board, $55 shipped was a good deal). It isn't "light" but I won't ever worry about it failing.

Do you "need" it? Probably not. There is a price for convenience and I thought $55 was worth it.

4. azbirddog42

azbirddog42 Bullhead City, Arizona

Aug 25, 2009
    Bullhead CIty, AZ
    Have had my Bal for about a year now and I love it.... Never go back to wood [:(O]..AZ [8D]

5. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

Mar 25, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Yup, I have never used anything but the BAL, as I learned about them right after getting the camper, and bought one. I got it from Sportsman's Guide, got it shipping included under $50, when buying the membership, I got free shipping, and two $10. certificates on other purchases, all in all a good deal. But you are free to drive on and off boards if you wish, that would be perfectly fine.

6. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Northern Nevada
    I can't use a BAL leveler on our pup - they're made for 13 inch wheels (I know some people have modified them to work with 12 inch wheels) and our pup has 8 inch wheels. No biggie. We went with the Lynx leveling blocks, sold at Wally World for about $20. You can sure use wood, and a lot of people do. It's totally up to you, really.

7. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
  8. Luv2ridebikes

Luv2ridebikes New Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Granger, IN
    Of course you don't need one. We leveled our pop ups for years with wood blocks and eventually Lynx Levelers. They all work. We upgraded to the BAL light leveler about 4 years ago and love it. As an earlier poster said, it's convenient and for some of us, that convenience is worth the price.

9. Engauge

Engauge New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    They are not needed but as many have stated it is the convenience of backing the trailer in place once and leaving it there. Not having to jockey back and forth while adding or removing blocks to level it out.
    I recently purchased our first pop up, do not receive it until May but have already purchased a BAL Leveler.

10. Alter Ego

Alter Ego New Member

Dec 5, 2009
    I don't feel the need for one. Naturally, If I had one, I would use it, but can't see the need to spend the money.

I just use wood blocks. Besides, the price was right - free. My bubble level tells me how many degrees the trailer is from level. I multiply the degrees by 1.25 to get the inches of block necessary to level it. It works good enough for me.

11. Larry NC

Larry NC Life is Camping, the rest is waiting

Mar 9, 2009
    BAL Levelers, what's a good price and are they worth it?

I've found BAL levers, new for $55.00 before shipping. Good Price? Do a lot of people use them?

12. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
    Most don't use them. dual axle RV don't either. Keep in practice and use 'stuff' under the wheels so that when you get a bigger rig, you'll be ready to go!

13. Jumanji

Jumanji Beautiful BC

May 7, 2009
    Vancouver, BC
    Re: BAL Levelers, what's a good price and are they worth it?

Yes, that's a good price. Sometimes you can find coupon codes for some of the online retailers by doing a search. Can help offset the shipping costs. There is a seperate poll that's been greated that'll show you how many people use them. Have a look.

14. socharming

socharming New Member

Jan 21, 2010
    After using Lynx levelers for a couple of years, I got tired of trying to level the trailer that way. (Really hard to do if you're not hooked up to the tow vehicle and have to push the trailer on blocks).

So, I bought one second-hand for $20. So much easier. I'd never go back. (I have 12" tires and it works perfectly without alteration.)

Of course you don't NEEED one. But it's one of those things that makes the whole experience just a little bit easier.

15. Hardee5

Hardee5 New Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Plumas County, CA
    Careful rabird! You're very close to proselytizing the Dark Side! [EEK]

Maycat likes this.
  16. Mr_Custom

Mr_Custom Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Antigonish, Nova Scotia
    Like others have already stated - it is not a need. I used Lynx levellers for a few years. The BAL leveler allows us to just park the rig and level it with the BAL. Backing up at night, trying to get on the blocks, a few attempts etc just takes extra time for us. Doing it in the rain was even worse. Now I just leave the Lynx blocks in the driveway and put the camper on that when we bring it home.

So much about these types of threads is the thresholds and what each person is willing to put up with or make do without. The vast majority of us could tent it with cots or pads, heaters, utility trailers, etc. right? but we choose to spend lots more dollars for a trailer with a tent, off the ground, more comfort, faster setup etc....

To me this is one of those discussions. It's really about your own wiifm (what's in it for me) and how much more enjoyment do I get out of spending this money.

I do have one negative about the BAL. If the ground is a bit soft, you can't push the leveller under the wheel. You have to put some gravel or bark or something to bring it level. I have run into this twice in the past 2 years but does mean moving the trailer at least once. the first time I had disconnected the trailer and moved off the TV. :) I won't make that mistake again!

17. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

I use two simple "boards" ... a 2 X 8 and a 1 X 8 both about 14" long, neither cost me a dime, both so simple to store.

When I pull into a site (or a space in the boondocks), takes me a couple of seconds to determine if the camper needs to be leveled and which side - and if need be what side gets what and simply do it. I can't see the expense (hey ... I've got fishing tackle to buy, ya know?), and having something else to store.

18. mostlyok

mostlyok We're Mostly OK!

Jun 5, 2005
    Sarasota, Florida
    We have used the BAL leveler for quite a few years. The one big advantage over the Link levelers or boards is that you don't have to back the PU to level out. Just mount the BAL and jack 'er up.

19. Kim Ciara

Kim Ciara Trout Tickler

Jul 5, 2009
    Colorado mountains!
    I got the BAL leveler just after buying my pup, so I have no reference, really, to what life is like using other methods.

The BAL makes leveling SO easy, that it's well worth the expense. They also kinda' chock, as well. I can't imagine using boards or Lynx levelers or anything else. So simple, even *I* can do it! :)

20. Rustyk

Rustyk New Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Pa.
    I have a BAL and dont think I would ever go without it. If nothing else for just the security of it. Once that BAL is in place I know the pup could never roll.

Whoodatguy likes this.