Atwood 7916-ll Heater help please

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by ColoradoKid, Aug 27, 2017.

1. ColoradoKid

ColoradoKid New Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Colorado
    1996 Coleman Yukon: Atwood 7916-ll Heater.

This is my first popup, and it came with no owners manual, so I have had to rely on the little bit of info I can find online, and just good old common sense. I am having a problem getting the heater to fire up. I have:
    - made sure I have 12v min at battery.
    - turn on converter to 12v
    - turn on propane
    - turn thermostat on & set at lowest setting

From what I understand so far, is that now I should be able to turn the on/off switch on the heater to 'on' and the blower should kick on, which triggers the 'sail switch' which tells the unit to fire-up.
    When I switch the heater 'on' nothing is happening. I got my test light and found a constant power lead that goes into the side of the heater, and immediately into what looks like a circuit breaker (says 5 amp on it) and continued power out of it. The lead then drops down to the lower section of the heater and blade connects to what I am guessing is the 'relay switch'
    - 1 blade power in, and six blades coming out. I have confirmed power in, but no power is coming out on any of the 6 blades.
    One of those outgoing blades runs straight to the 'on/off' switch, which means the on/off switch is not getting any power in the first place, which must mean that the 'relay switch' is defective!!! -- right???

- Whats your thoughts?
    thanks.

2. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
  3. ColoradoKid

ColoradoKid New Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Colorado
    I neglected to mention that I confirmed power to the thermostat as well.

4. neighbormike

neighbormike Active Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    I would try what Rabird suggested... those cheap thermostats are a common failure. Remove the thermostat and connect the two wires and see what happens. It's probably the easiest thing to try/ eliminate.

5. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
    if the thermostat is closed an addition wire with 12v+ from the stat triggers the relay.

6. ColoradoKid

ColoradoKid New Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Colorado
    Thanks guys,
    too bloody hot to be working on it today, and back to real life work tomorrow, so will be a few days before I can try these things.
    I will be sure to update.

7. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Power comes from furnace to stat and back to furnace. In order to eliminate the stat as a possible problem simply connect the two wires together.

8. Douggro

Douggro Active Member

Jul 26, 2017
    Seattle, WA
    I had the same problem with my Atwood furnace. If you have power at the relay and circuit continuity from the thermostat to the relay, the relay is bad. You can confirm this by putting a jumper between the 12v supply and the bottom pins of the relay; the blower should turn on. The relay is a time-delay relay which uses a small heater element to delay closing the relay switches; the heater will fail and the relay no longer works. That model of relay is no longer available, but there is a substitute part that works, and I found one on Ebay for $25. It is larger than the original part but does fit in the heater.