Atwood furnace cycles on & off

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by timo4352, Oct 19, 2013.

1. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

Aug 20, 2007
    Western MA
    While I agree that a digital thermo is a better way to go, I personally don't think that that is your issue. Have you checked the propane tank? How old is the regulator? I had this on our 2010 Niagara, and it was actually the connector that threads onto the tank. In my case, both of the connectors' check valves were no good, and were kicking the propane flow off and on. How is the stove and/or water heater affected when the heater goes off? Pay attention to what those items do at the same time. If they also shut down, it is not your heater, but a propane supply issue. That could be an empty propane tank, bad regulator (my local RV shop said those have a shelf life of ~5-7 years), or those connectors post-regulator that connect the regulator to the tank.

Good Luck!

2. timo4352

timo4352 New Member

Oct 15, 2013
    I ran it through a couple cycles again today and it worked just fine. The new thermostat fixed it. Thanks for all the help.
    Tim [:)C]

3. JayT_B

JayT_B New Member

Aug 1, 2013
    Pej,

Looking at the specs of the thermostats you provided links to, they show 24v and require AAA batteries. I am assuming it being 24V was not an issue for you, but the requirement for the AAA battery has that been an issue for longer trips with the battery dying? Does it take more than one?

Jace

4. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

Apr 25, 2013
    We have one in our house the has 2 AA batteries And replace them once a year just because. It is digital so it has to be powered up. If you took them out you probably would just have to reset each time you go camping or keep a spare set with you which you would probably want to do anyway.

5. pej

pej Member

Jul 17, 2013
    The digital thermostat has a switch to drive the furnace that is capable of being used on a 24v furnace controller. So yes, it works no problem on a 12 volt Popup system. I just took the two batteries out for winter storage. I expect they will last me multiple camping seasons. The backlit touchscreen Honeywell thermostat I installed in my home 12 months ago is still on its first set of (three) batteries.

Peter

6. timo4352

timo4352 New Member

Oct 15, 2013
    So I put a digital (freebie) stat in mine. It's a White Rodgers. The spec on the inside cover says 0 to 30 volts. It's working fine now during my testing. AC or DC does not seem to make a difference. Of course I could be dead wrong too - I'm not an electrical wizard. [;)] Yes, and the batteries in the hose thermostat last for years.
    Be careful of removing the batteries in the winter from the camper's stat. Mine says someting about freezing if it has no batteries in it. Must be a LCD display, I guess.
    Better safe than sorry - batteries are cheap insurance.
    Tim

7. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    Try adjusting the anticipator in the thermostat to the highest number.

8. Clovers Crew

Clovers Crew New Member

Oct 24, 2013
    I could be way off base here-I apologize if so-but my NTM 2006 Rockwood has a furnace, and it just seemed like it SHOULD have been throwing a bit more heat-I suspected the thermostat at first but then it seemed as if it cycled on an off randomly. Mostly on for long periods, then off for long periods. But if I turned the t-stat off and back on it would fire up. I had an RV service guy to look at it. (I know nothing about furnaces...mind you.)

He told me right off the bat-he could see a yellow flame and new it wasn't firing properly. (At least I think that's what he said...) he needed to clean it out and remove some rust from it. He had tested the LP Pressure as well.

Now, I haven't used it since to test his theory, and as I said, I'm naive to this stuff. Just figured I'd toss it out there as a point to consider.

9. timo4352

timo4352 New Member

Oct 15, 2013
    I slept in the pup for the first time this weekend. It was in the 40's overnight. I set the furnace at 55 and it worked like a champ all night. The thermostat was the fix I needed. [:)C]

10. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

Aug 20, 2007
    Western MA
    Sweet, great to hear! [8D]

11. turborich

turborich Active Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Glad you got it figured out! IMO a regular old school mercury filled t stat is all you need. Set it and forget it. I see no use for a digital T stat in a pup. Now the home is another story. [2C]

12. Robert Perkins

Robert Perkins New Member

Dec 3, 2018
    Clean your heat Rod.

13. Robert Perkins

Robert Perkins New Member

Dec 3, 2018
    For cycling promblems cleaning is a must maintained heat Rod is usually the issue