August Colorado Trip

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by silvermickey2002, Jun 19, 2019.

1. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

I mentioned this before in some other threads, but we are planning a trip out to Colorado in August for our nieces wedding. We'll be on the road for 19 days and of course the wedding in the middle of that. We are planning on camping while out there, but because of some of the routes (mountain passes) and some of the places we are going there is no place to park the TV with the pup. Don't really want to drive thru mountain passes again with the pup, once was enough for me!! So we are gonna be doing some tent camping!! Actually our son and his girlfriend will be in a tent while the wife and I will sleep in the back of the Explorer. We made a reservation for Pinon Flats campground in the Great Sand Dunes for a night. We want to see the stars at night up there! We also made reservations for a Grey Line shuttle up to the summit at Pikes Peak. Not sure if you are aware that the Cog railway is closed until 2021. They are rebuilding the rail cars, locomotives and all the tracks. So the only way to the summit is either drive up to certain points on the road up and get a shuttle or reserve with the Grey Line. We are also gonna hit the Garden of the Gods (my 4th trip there) and Breckenridge. That covers 3 days!!! We also are planning on going into Denver to go to the US Mint (the DW needs some coins). The rest of the trip (besides the wedding) we will be winging it!!!

The DW and I will probably stop at KOAs and use their Kabins.

kitphantom and kcsa75 like this.
  2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

When in Aug? May pass you on the road.

3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Have a safe trip up and back, I hope y'all have a great adventure and i know you will make a lot of memories especially for the wedding.

4. silvermickey2002

@steve, we will be out there on Aug 19-24th. Maybe I'll see ya on the road somewhere!

@nineoaks2004, I know we'll have a blast out there. Family weddings are a blast. My wife's side is Irish so it really is fun!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    kcsa75 likes this.
  5. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Well, you know my rig, kind of hard to miss. [LOL]

6. silvermickey2002

^True!!

7. ericmooreco

ericmooreco New Member

It snowed up on Pikes Peak today, lol. Be advised of the I-25 GAP project between Denver and the Springs, traffic is horrible due to all the construction.

8. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Do you think it will melt by late August?

9. ericmooreco

ericmooreco New Member

Yes, the snow on Pike Peak should be melted by August. There are a couple races up there in August, one is road race called the Hill Climb, the other is running raced called the Ascent. It needs to be melted for that.
    Here is what it looks like five minutes ago from my house.
    This is view looking south from Monument.
    Looks like a dusting at lower below the top, but more deep at top.
    upload_2019-6-23_10-29-38.png

10. silvermickey2002

The DW and I are starting to plan our trip now. We have the trip out planned. Now the trip home we have 10-11 days to kill. We are not camping! As we will have my MIL (91 YO). As of now looking to head south on rt 25 into Cimarron, NM. Looking to stop at Philmont Scout Ranch and go thru the National Boy Scout Museum. Then maybe head to Sante Fe and maybe onto Albuquerque. Then head on to 40 eastbound all the way to Memphis, TN. That's as far as we have planned so far!

For you folks in Texas. What's along rt 40 to see?

11. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

@silvermickey2002 I'm leaving from work on Aug 13 and heading on PA-Turnpike and I-70. Hope to make mid-Ohio by morning. Have a safe trip.

12. silvermickey2002

You too Steve!! Were taking rt 80 out to rt 76 then down to Denver. Not sure were we will end up the first nite. At a hotel, but not sure what town!!

13. silvermickey2002

We were up there a few years ago in late June and there was a bit of snow up there. Pretty cool to see! This will be our 4th trip up there!

14. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

silvermickey2002 likes this.
  15. 8lugnutz

8lugnutz Member

It was 95+ today in the Springs, it didn’t look like there was much snow left this afternoon, maybe a pocket here and there in the shadows where the sun can’t get to it. I live about 3 miles north of Garden of the Gods. If you want a good view of the Springs, PM me and I’ll send you some info on Rampart Range Road, a gravel road that heads up the mountains from Balanced Rock. You can travel on it from there through the back country pretty much all the to Sedalia, which is just South of Denver. It's almost all National Forest land too!

Overland and silvermickey2002 like this.
  16. silvermickey2002

8lugnutz, thanks for the suggestion, but after the Garden of the Gods we are headed directly to Great Sand Dunes. We have a camp site reserved and at this point we probably won't get there till about 7 PM. We have a full day planned! [A]

8lugnutz likes this.
  17. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

@silvermickey2002 Since we live in ABQ, we've done the trip east many times over the past three decades. Last fall, I did it without the camper, I-40 to close to Memphis and on through Kentucky etc. to get to Columbus Ohio (had to pick my husband up at the airport there). Lots of road miles, the road quality varies from great to roly-poly (eastern OK).
    You don't go through a lot of Texas on I-40, since it's the panhandle. Nice rest area, route 66 themed, along that stretch - it's also a tornado shelter.
    I never have had the time to stop and see much, since the goal was to spend as much time as possible with family in Ohio.

18. silvermickey2002

^Thanks!

kitphantom likes this.