Auto change over regulator

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by Daddy Rabbit, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Daddy Rabbit

Daddy Rabbit Member

Mar 11, 2013
    I'm a novice when it comes to anything related to propane. I need someone who's schooled in these matters to help me choose a regulator for my '09 Jayco 1207. Thanks, DR

2. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    MaeKay likes this.
  3. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Be aware that there are horizontal regulators and vertical regulators. Buy the correct one so the vent is positioned down. No matter which, it needs to be dual stage, not single stage like a BBQ grille.

4. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    For $36 bucks, I’m buying that. (I’ll make sure it’s the correct one for my setup). I just swapped out a propane tank at 10 pm in my backyard in 37 degree weather. I don’t want to do it at camp at 3 am. I had no idea they were so affordable.

5. davido

davido Active Member

Jul 17, 2014
    The next step is to understand how to use them:

Assuming there is propane in both tanks, set the selector toward one of the tanks (perhaps the one closest to running out), and then open both valves, starting with the one that is currently selected as primary.

When the primary tank runs out the switchover will occur, and propane will begin being drawn from the secondary tank.

When you have time in the morning, flip the selector toward the backup tank, which is the one currently in-service. Now it should be considered your primary tank.

Shut off, then remove the depleted tank and have it refilled.

Replace the refilled tank and open its valve, but leave the selector in the position indicating your second (but newly primary) tank. The one you refilled is now the backup tank.

Something to consider: Many (probably nearly all) switchover regulators supply more BTU/hr from the primary than from the auto-switchover line. On a popup this probably doesn't matter. But it's possible if your furnace consumes enough, and you're running the stove, bbq, and water heater at the same time, that the secondary (the switchover) input won't be adequate to drive all those appliances at once. In such a case, it's useful to flip the lever to select what had been the secondary tank as soon as you realize that a switchover has occurred.

...or just buy a regulator that is adequately sized so that the lower capacity 'switchover' side is sufficient for your needs.

Jorja and MaeKay like this.
  6. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Make sure you use propane thread tape on your connections. Plumbing tape should not be used.

Jorja, theseus and MaeKay like this.
  7. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    Note, that it only works on low pressure. Although IIRC 2007 was one of the years that Fleetwood lost it's mind and had a low pressure port for the exterior stove on the Bayside.

MaeKay likes this.