Auto changeover regulator with 1 cylinder

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by Drvred, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Drvred

Drvred Member

May 3, 2017
    My camper currently has 2 cylinders with a group 24 battery.
    I am thinking of going to 1 cylinder with a group 31 battery.
    Is it possible to plug 1 input on the regulator, to leave the option of easily adding the second cylinder if needed? Or better to replace the regulator?

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Me myself, I would keep the two tanks but I camp 99% of the time with electric hook ups.

Best way and guess proper way, would be to replace the regulator with a single tank one and keep the auto change over if you decide to change things back.

3. Drvred

Drvred Member

May 3, 2017
    I had originally the 2 tanks was a good idea, but I have only used less than half a tank in a year, and down the road, I would like to do some fall camping in NPS campgrounds, where I think battery is more important than propane.

4. davido

davido Active Member

Jul 17, 2014
    I have two propane cylinders and two group-24 batteries.

The configuration is as follows:

\=||=/
    \OO/
    \/

So in the OO position, that's two propane tanks. IN the =||= position, that's two batteries.

Two batteries so that I can run the furnace for a few days between recharges.
    Two propane tanks so that I can fill the empty one and go on consuming the 'in service' one. When the 'in service' tank runs empty the regulator flips over to the one I recently filled. I can now re-fill the one that just ran empty at my convenience, back at home.

So I never have to fill a partially full tank; I just fill the empty ones and let the cutover happen when needed.

5. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

May 21, 2015
    It should work fine, I would keep the indicator pointed to the existing connection but even that's probably not necessary. I don't know the configuration of your tongue but I was able to add the g31 and a second tank to my trailer by moving the battery rack forward less than an inch.

6. Drvred

Drvred Member

May 3, 2017
    This has got an electric winch to raise the top, the cylinders are squeezed in between the jack and the winch.
    Battery hangs off the side and is really bouncy, seems like just a matter of time before it falls off.
    Roberts Sales has a bracket to mount it over the winch.

7. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH

that is what I would. I would remove the second hose and install a plug. But I think you will need a new propane tank hold down bracket? Test it, remove the one tank and see if you need a bracket.

8. Drvred

Drvred Member

May 3, 2017
    I am getting the band type bracket, hopefully I can leave the double mount on there so I can still put 2 tanks and another hose if I need to.
    I will possibly be using the thing next winter with shore power so then I would be using more propane

9. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    We like the change over 2 tank for fall and spring camping. I always seem to run out of propane at 2AM. DW kick me out of bed to get the heat going. With the change over no getting out of bed.

The rest of the year I only open one valve and use one tank and know when it's empty because the stove stops working. Then I open the valve on the second tank. Otherwise I might not know I need to fill the tank. Only exception is if I running the frige on propane.

10. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I know there is a tread on here somewhere that they are mounting the Battery on a plate made to fit over the Winch on the Tongue. This is from @mpking in a related tread.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  11. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    I would just remove the extra hose and plug the line.

12. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    X2 that way you have the option of re-connecting the second tank if needed.

13. Drvred

Drvred Member

May 3, 2017
    Thanks that was what I was thinking of, just wasn't sure if it would work like that.

14. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I agree a battery is important but I can tell you the furnace goes through a lot of propane too. I dry camped with the night time temps were 32 and windy for 3 nights I kept the temp at 50 to conserve battery and only turned it on at bedtime. I used up all my propane cooking breakfast on day 4. I think if it wasn't so windy I might have been able to make it a tad longer. I had a group 24 and it was at half charge on day 4. Then again the only thing I used my battery on was the furnace. I used battery power lanterns, most of the time for light. So just trying to give you an idea what you can expect. Aventually I will buy a solar panel to help give the battery a little juice during the day, then again I'm very good about conserving power, just need heat or I can't sleep. Everyone is different though.

15. Drvred

Drvred Member

May 3, 2017
    1 tank in the summer, 2 fall to spring