Avoiding toll roads and bridges from Washington DC to Boston

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by 912ksufan, Feb 9, 2017.

1. 912ksufan

912ksufan New Member

Jun 19, 2016
    This June my wife and I will be attending our son's graduation from MIT in Boston. We will be pulling our travel trailer from Savannah, Ga to Normandy Farms in Foxboro, Ma. We have traveled I-95 when taking him his Freshman year but did not enjoy all the toll roads and bridges we encountered. What are the suggested routes to take in getting around the metropolitan areas and avoiding the tolls?

2. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

May 17, 2014
    I'm sure a route can be worked out to avoid tolls, but do you really want to? No toll routes will likely be longer in terms of both mileage and time, involve smaller roads, more traffic, more stop and go, and less safe than the toll roads and bridges.

MapQuest can lay out routes that avoid tolls, as can a couple of the other route mappers. You could join AAA and use their trip planning service.

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    I84 thru Connecticut .... Avoid I95

4. Ted S.

Ted S. Member

Dec 20, 2011
    I've done this route many times and have developed my favorite route:

95 N to DC

495 to 270 to Rt 15 thru Gettysburg, PA

Continue to 81 in Harrisburg, PA up to 84, continue thru CT on 84 and on to 90 East in MA

Couple comments. 81/84 can get into some grades so there is a variation picking up 78 after Harrisburg, PA to 287 to 87 back to 84, it is more metro but less grades. There is a nice Cabelas in Hamburg, PA that is loaded with RVs at night if you need to stop. But I love going around on 84 and seeing the scenery of PA.

This may be longer on a map than I95, but I have made faster time as I never get stuck in traffic except for DC and CT. Also, getting thru Baltimore with propane is a pain.

5. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Welcome to the forum. No help here on roads but wanted to say congrats to your son. Set for life with that piece of paper from MIT.

6. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2013
    San Diego
    ^^ X2

Congratulations, you must be super proud. Quite the achievement.

7. mpking

mpking Active Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    My parents drive twice a year from Boston to West Virginia. This is their preferred route.

Note: 90 in MA is toll road. But we just went electronic tolling, and they will mail you a bill if you don't have an EZ-pass Transponder. Point is, I don' t know if you'll actually see the bill, being from Georgia.

8. ny_rocking_chairs

ny_rocking_chairs Active Member

Jul 17, 2016
    Webster, NY
    Driving I95 through DC and up through Philadelphia to Boston negates this statement [:(] Grew up in Delaware and worked for 4 years near BWI, these highways routinely have more traffic and take longer than the back-ways and other routes.

X3 on the beltway to 270/81/84/90 route.

9. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California

Good thing that your kid is graduating from MIT. I am pretty sure there has been a lot modernization work done on your TT in courtesy of MIT graduate..... (off the subject)..

[:D] [MOD]

10. pasobuff

pasobuff Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Upstate NY
    I agree on this route 100%.....whenever I travel from NY toward DC (and to Virginia when my father was alive) I would hop on I88 to I81 south.....I81 up to I84 is a nice ride, and I84 is a good ride too.....plenty of places to stop if you need to, Fishkill off I84 has been built up so places to eat, get gas etc.....as well as out toward Brewster.....

11. 912ksufan

912ksufan New Member

Jun 19, 2016
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Yes we are very proud of his accomplishments in completing his bachelors degree from there. He has really enjoyed the chance to go there but after 4 years he is ready for his next chapter in his life. I realize that not taking I-95 will be a longer trip but we are not looking forward to pulling our 2016 Mallard 325 camper thru all the tolls. I realize we might hit one or two but it seemed like every 5 to 10 miles we were paying some toll between washington dc and the conn. state line and that was in a car. I can only imagine what it would be to pull the camper thru them. We just got the camper this past september just before Hurricane Mathew hit the east coast, so havent had to do any major mods as of yet. Still learning what we want to do with it.

12. DanLee

DanLee Member

Apr 28, 2015
    Virginia
    If you want to avoid DC traffic, take US 17 north from Frerdericksburg VA to Warrenton, then pick up US 15 north to Gettysburg.