1. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Aug 5, 2010
    5 Star Eagle Camper
    I have a Carefree of Colorado bag awning on the Pup. It's made out of a thin plastic-vinyl type of material. I'm sure that this is common to most bag awnings, but the top portion of the bag where it attaches to the pup, is actually the first 4-6 inches of awning. It's hard to explain/describe, but I think you all know what I'm talking about. That top portion of the bag is being effected by UV (I suppose) and is becoming brittle, for lack of a better term. I noticed at the end of last season that it is starting to have multiple cracks along the full length of the bag. Is there something that I can put on that vinyl to restore its flexibility so it doesn't crack worse? Can I wipe a liquid on there, or paint a thicker film of something on it? Any suggestions. The awning is about 5 years old. I'm surprised that it's in that kind of shape, the original one was about 10-11 years old and was in better shape than this one is.

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    I know what your talking about, I don't know of anything you could "paint" on to it to restore the flexibility. You could add a layer of awning tape the length of the awning to re-enforce it... Per haps call a boat top place and ask them ..

3. DJS12354

DJS12354 Active Member

I have some cracking on our awning bag and have done some touch-up with "shoe goo".

durhamcamper likes this.
  4. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    Has the awning itself been damaged? I've never seen my actual awning, but the bag has detached from the roof line and it looks like it might have some cracking too. But I need to replace the sideboard on both sides so the awning will be coming off and will need to put it back on. However, I don't know if the bag will have to be remade or not. And I haven't decided whether to remake the awning and/or bag, or just get a separate screen room from Academy or Walmart which would probably be cheaper. But I also have to consider the weight of a screen room as well as how easy it is to setup.

I've seen the diy drain pipe covers for retractable rv awnings and have wondered if that could be used over the awning bag on a popup camper. From what you've described, I think that should be a solution.

5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Bearcreek Canvas can make you a new one at a good price.

6. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

Feb 28, 2016
    Illinois
    I don’t think there is anything that can reverse the damage but I hit mine with the 303 stuff to help protect it

BelchFire likes this.
  7. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    My 2008 Awning Bag finally started ripping apart due to SUN RV's about three years ago. I finally had to remove it from the slide on rail that holds it up.

It started out coming apart at the ends... I ran a whole season just leaving it on the outside of the awning bag and folded over laying on the roof held in place with stretch rope.

[​IMG]
    Google image

I am going to use a portable PATIO Awning setup until I can afford to get the bag replaced. The rest of my STARCRAFT Awning is is good shape - just the bag is that has failed big time... I got this one on sale last season from WALMART. The bad thing it is not high enough to clear my front door when being opened so I will have to move it away from the trailer I guess to use it.
    [​IMG]

The problem with just getting the bag replaced is that you have to ship the whole awning to someone...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

8. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

A seamstress could add a layer over the worm part to extend the life a bit. The best thing to do is stop leaving the bag hanging out all year.

9. Ziggs76

Ziggs76 Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    When we purchased our popup the awning bag had been repaired by either the dealer or previous owner with EternaBond tape. It lasted for many seasons until we replaced the awning for other reasons. Not a cheap fix but I can confirm that it worked. Jeff

10. megcabra

megcabra Active Member

Mamie likes this.
  11. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Pickering, Ontario
    Lots of good suggestions here. The bag awning on my previous pup was a Dometic and I replaced the zipper. Then a couple of years later the actual bag part started to show what you are describing. I was more concerned about it possibly tearing when travelling and the awning being damaged. I was planning on adding a couple of strap loops on the outside to support the weight but never got there before I sold the pup.

12. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    Is that canopy heavy? To raise it up, why don't you put some risers under each leg. You could probably rig something up with pvc pipe.

13. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    For transport and storage you coul always flip the bag onto the roof and secure it with a strap wrapped around the pup..

14. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Aug 5, 2010
    5 Star Eagle Camper
    I don't think mine is bad enough to have to flip it over and strap it. I haven't seen it since the Fall when it went into storage, but I remember thinking that I should look at it this summer before it starts getting too far out of hand. I like the EternaBond tape idea, and if it's too bad for that, I think my wife (and surely my sister) is skilled enough to make a new bag. Once we lose all this weather, it'll come out of storage, and I'll get a good look at it then. Thanks, and I'm still open to suggestions.

15. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    The bag for our pup awning was in new condition when we traded the pup.. One reason was it road flipped over and strapped, so it wasnt bouncing and swinging while going down the road ..

jnc likes this.
  16. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    I never knew how awning was mounted, but mine was detached and the PO covered the gap with duct tape. After your post I checked mine and saw that the awning slides into a track. I found the awning tracks at Walmart for under $25 with free shipping, but they were 8' and my camper is 10.'

17. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

Jun 14, 2014
    I have also used shoe goo with good affect for patching small tears and stress concentrations where the awning attaches to the bag and the bag attaches to the camper. I'm getting a few small cracks also. You could adhere a colored or white vinyl film to the top surface of the awning bag. Any decent graphics shop should be able to get you some vinyl film with adhesive on the back and those weather very well.

18. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Active Member

Apr 13, 2015
    LaLa land
    I don’t know if it’ll work but I use neatsfoot oil to restore pliability to leather pumpcups on my stoves and lanterns.