Back Up Lens...

Discussion in 'Mystery Parts' started by Sherric704, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Sherric704

Sherric704 New Member

Oct 10, 2017
    My 1992 Coleman has 3 rear lenses, a "backup" lens (red with clear insert in the middle), tail light lens (solid red), corner light lens (solid red), with a 4 pin connector. Did backup light/reverse light ever actually work for its intended purpose, or did maybe a past owner rewire using a 4 pin connector? If the 4 pin connector was standard, what was the purpose of a back up lens since it needs a 5th wire to work? Is it worth rewiring to a 5 pin connector so the light/lens will work? Thanks for your feed back!

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    A four pin connector could never have back up lights.... not enough wires ...... 7 pin has a backup spot.

3. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Stillwater, MN
    I believe you can change the 4 pin to a plug that will do backup lights. On my older Coleman there was a 6 pin connector you could change out for different vehicle connections. So, I think the wiring is in the camper, but not your connection.

[​IMG]

4. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

May 21, 2015
    That depends on your TV. My Silvy is OEM wired for trailer backup lights, most vehicles are not. I suggest consulting your vehicle manual fuse box pages to see, if not that may require some difficult wiring additions on your vehicle. Your best bet may be to wire the backup lights through a switch on the battery box to the pups battery.

5. NMroamer

NMroamer Active Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Albuquerque NM
    My back up light is the wife with a flashlight waving hers arms. :eek:

pasobuff, silvermickey2002 and Snow like this.
  6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    This is what I did on our TT.

7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I don't have backup lights on my camper and I camp alone. So I'm thinking of getting a battery operated magnet mounted light someone here suggested. So I could put it on the back bumper when I need it. May be a whole lot cheaper and easier that way.

pasobuff and JPBar like this.
  8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I cannot ever remember any unit I have owned having back up lights, I am like NMroamer, my DW does a great job guiding me back.