Backing Up This 32 Foot Camper Is No Joke

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by Kittyhawksurf, Apr 13, 2018.

1. silverfz

silverfz Member

Aug 8, 2013
    This is part of living with a longer camper. Every year in spring i have to relearn. The gauge i have is from a tree branch in a campground .
    always listen to the inner voice. When i doubt i let the wife do it and spot.
    she is a better tow and driver anyway so helps.

When i got the camper home and me and wife always backed it up and one directed for the first 2 yrs . We got a walkie talkie that helps a lot too .
    plus at home you just get used to it. I can do some crazy stuff in my small parking lot now. I have come close to taking the mailbox and house a few times

I think its simpler than a popups as they were so short i had a horrible time backing them no matter how many years when by i could never put my popup where i want in 1 shot. I do it alot with my 32 footer.

Kittyhawksurf likes this.
  2. Ruby Jean

Ruby Jean New Member

May 30, 2017
    Bellingham, WA
    I still can't do a decent job of backing my pup, but I do feel less panicky about my lack of ability [LOL] [suv&pu]

3. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    The smaller the trailer in length the more prone it is for responding to your turning action. My visiting trucker brother-in-law would back down our street going 25 miles per hour and not even look back haha. Only took out my mailbox one time as I recall hehe...

Some folks like to have their hand on the bottom of the steering wheel instead of the top when backing. This falls more into the way your brain thinks on turning left or right I guess...

Some say going to a vacant area in a large parking lot at WALMART or a school yard after school perhaps is a great training ground for backing up... Use their parking lines to gain experience...

There is new recent video on TV showing a new RV owner and his wife directing him into their driveway that really cracks me up. So true

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

4. kcsa75

kcsa75 Active Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    2357725_0.jpg

jnc likes this.
  5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    The hand at the bottom of the steering wheel is due to the way you turn the steering wheel vs. how the trailer reacts.. Hand on bottom of steering wheel = want to turn, trailer to the Right, turn steering wheel to the right.

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I still don't like to back up the Retro (17' TT), after 3-1/2 years. I had gotten to the point I could do pretty well with the 8' Coleman Cobalt, even in our driveway. On the first trip with the Retro (we'd had it a week!), I managed to get it into a site that the camp host told me the next day was the most difficult in the campground - and I did it in the rain, fog, and as darkness was falling. Haven't backed it into anything that difficult since.
    Our driveway is one of the most difficult spots we park - I act as spotter, after this amount of time, my husband is getting pretty good at it. We removed a large tree, which has helped expand the maneuvering room, but not by much. I still haven't backed into our driveway - I started to do so once, then just parked in front, since I had no spotter. I backed it into a campsite last year that is fairly straight, with my husband spotting - I have the same campsite reserved on two occasions this year when I'll be backing it in solo.
    ETA: I try for pull-through sites on solo trips, so I don't need to worry about not having a spotter, and with the realization that I'm usually tired enough that simple is best.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018 at 6:53 PM
  7. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I wouldn't hit the road if I weren't a decent backer and certainly wouldn't if I felt like I couldn't back up at all. You never know when you may come to a place in your travels that will force you to back up....I would invest in some cones or plastic trash cans and find a parking lot to learn how.

kcsa75 and jnc like this.
  8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Have had to back out of many gas stations and even a few restaurants/donut shops.

kcsa75 likes this.
  9. Kittyhawksurf

Kittyhawksurf Work, family, surf, eat, camp.

Aug 16, 2014
    It's funny when you post things on forums. It's just impossible to explain your entire situation and skill set without writing a book. It's not going to be hard to back up the camper. I just need a little practice. When I think about the fact that I have a private pilot's license I chuckle at the fact I'm whining on a forum about backing up a camper.

Anyway I got the backup camera from Amazon today and it took like three seconds to install. I'll get to test it this weekend. Backing up the camper is pretty easy, but the depth of the camper or distance from me in the driver's seat (which is 55 feet. I measured) is a little tricky. I totally understand that will start to make a little more sense with time and using the backup camera for a little while will help me be able to understand where the rear of the camper is in the mirror I believe.

We'll see.

jnc likes this.
  10. Kittyhawksurf

Aug 16, 2014
  11. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

"I have a private pilot's license I chuckle at the fact I'm whining on a forum about backing up a camper." @Kittyhawksurf . I get this! I had my class A CDL for 15 years when I got a 15' boat with a 17' Trailer. The First few times I tried to back it into the water I gave up and walked it in.

12. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Jun 8, 2012
    I may look into something like that myself. Something to keep in mind is you may need to play with your monitor location to figure out where your best signal is. My rig is about 5 feet longer than yours and when I had the monitor in the center of the dash I had trouble holding a good signal, but having it mounted to the lower left corner of the windshield holds a pretty solid signal. Just something to consider if you find it unstable. It's not uncommon to have the signal glitch every now and then after certain lengths while traveling at high speeds, but it shouldn't be happening frequently.

13. Kittyhawksurf

Aug 16, 2014
    Thanks again. Here is the current set up!

Attached Files:

14. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Jun 8, 2012
    That's a great location. Is the magnet strong enough that it won't shake loose on big bumps?

15. soft 17

soft 17 Active Member

Mar 14, 2017
    San Luis Obispo
    Do you have 2 smart phones? You can face tomtwith the other phone and use it as a backup camera.