Bahia Honda State Park.

Discussion in 'Florida' started by kybishop, Jun 9, 2016.

1. kybishop

kybishop TV-1994 Toyota Landcruiser

Nov 10, 2010
    We have tent camped at Bahia Honda State Park down in the keys twice. Both times were in April during the kids spring breaks. Both times the experience was wonderful.

We stayed in the sandspur campground. The sites are well spaces and lots of trees and shade in many of the sites. The campground here is mainly tent sites but we regularly saw small popups in several of these sites. Bathhouse is nice and the beach is among the best down in the keys.

We went down in April of 2012 and 2015. I don't have any great pictures of the campsite but they are very nice. I will look through my pictures and see if I have any better ones of the campsite itself.

Attached Files:

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    I visited there last year, but didn't camp. It's beautiful! How far in advance did you have to make your reservations?

3. kybishop

Nov 10, 2010
    Typically you have to try and snag them when they come open. That is 11 months in advance. You have to watch the sites on Reserve America and the first night you want to reserve comes open. You can grab the first night and the following nights that you would want for the length of your stay.

I also watch the sites regularly, check in from time to time. If you are flexible you can grab a cabin or a campsite if there has been a cancellation.

I grabbed a cabin for four nights in St. Joseph Peninsula State Park in July this way. They are very popular and it is not easy to grab them that is for sure.

4. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    Advance planning, tenacity, and luck? Sounds like a winning combo - thanks!

5. kybishop

Nov 10, 2010
    You got it! Whichever one is on your side at the time you plan to go, use it!

It is a great place to stay for a while for sure. Key West is about a 45 minute drive and a great way to spend one day. The Dolphin Research Center is close by as well and you and/or the kids can interact with the dolphins there.

There are snorkeling trips available right there in the park. We did this in 2012 and it was a great trip. Reasonably priced and they take you out to Looe Key National Marine Sanctuary. We really enjoyed it. The seas were too large in 2015 when we went and we were not able to do the snorkeling trip then. You can also walk right out from the campground to the beach and snorkel there as well.

http://bahiahondapark.com/looe-key-snorkeling-tours.html

Good luck.

6. kybishop

Nov 10, 2010
    One of the pathways from the Sand Spur campground to the beach.

The Keys are not known for their beaches and there is a lot of coral. The keys themselves are remnants of coral reefs and sandbars. They do have some great beaches in this park though.

Also to note is that the state parks, in general, tend to leave their beaches and areas in a natural state. Seaweed and downed trees are common. If you like manicured beaches, don't go to the state park beaches.

Attached Files:

7. kybishop

Nov 10, 2010
    The public beach within the State Park.

Attached Files:

8. kybishop

Nov 10, 2010
    We did have some visitors to the campsite. A scorpion strolled through and a large iguana wondering in the foliage above.

Couple others as well.

The scorpion was set free after we checked him out.

Attached Files:

9. rocksncactus

rocksncactus Member

May 10, 2013
    Ah, Bahia Honda! I love it. My husband and I took our first trip together there, and we stayed in his family's old StarCraft pup. We were there in June, right after Memorial Day holiday. The no-see-ums ate me alive, but I still had a great time. That little islet in your third photo looks like the one we waded out to one day. It's amazing that it stays shallow out that far. We got terribly sunburned that day, because we used a sunblock that was supposed to be waterproof and extremely good and it was not. We snorkeled around the bridge, and the current pulled us through the cut there where the bridge is severed. I got pulled up very near the wall and discovered the entire wall was covered with black sea urchins! Yikes! Much rapid backpedaling!!

Our second trip to Bahia Honda we tent camped. It was so humid that my hair never got dry at the roots. Swimming, snorkeling, or showering, it didn't matter; my hair stayed wet. We'd go to bed with sweat pouring off of us, enough that our pillows were soggy by the end of the trip. But then my brother-in-law lent us an early version of a portable AC (former drive-in-movie-theater AC unit that hooked up to the car much as the speakers did; that's what they did back in the day in South Florida) that he would use on his boat. We slept icy after that! But I don't care how humid or hot it gets. Getting to go to the Keys is a treat. In fact, it's time to go back!

Lizabeth

10. kybishop

Nov 10, 2010
    Thanks for the response Lizabeth. Both times we went it was in April and it was really nice weather wise. Not too hot, water was warm, not that many insects out and about but some.

I hear it can be extremely hot in the summer.

11. Fasttimes7

Fasttimes7 Member

Sep 7, 2014
    It took me two years and multiple tries to get the spot I wanted in Bahia Honda for this coming Thanksgiving week. Took a while to figure out how to work the system and get the site I wanted. Waterfront RV site with a view of the old bridge, can't wait. Hoping to fish from and kayak up to the campsite.

Has to be in the top 10 of hardest campsites to reserve on ReserveAmerica.

12. busdriverwc75

busdriverwc75 Chester County, PA

Jun 30, 2007
    East Fallowfield, PA
    After visiting the park last Friday, I can believe it. It was our first trip to the Keys & we fell in love with Bahia Honda. Congratulations on scoring your site!

13. nhlakes

nhlakes Active Member

Oct 15, 2011
    DE
    Hope Bahia Honda survives the direct hit from the hurricane...

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  14. mr. commerce

mr. commerce Member

Jun 27, 2008
    Windermere
    No doubt, we are booked for a week in March. Not sure if the cabins will survive this one, among other things. The Conch Republic is solid, though.