Battery & solar panel - new purchase

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by MyName, Feb 2, 2018.

1. GreatBigAbyss

GreatBigAbyss Active Member

Apr 12, 2017
    Manitoba
    Question about how many AH a 12v fridge uses. I have a three-way fridge in my PUP. The propane part of it doesn't work. It won't light. Assuming I can't fix it, I'm considering running it on 12v for 2 days while we are at a dry site.

The fridge will already be cold, with cold food in it. Exterior ambient temperature will likely be 20-25C (68-77F).

Does anyone know approximately how many Amps my fridge will use if it's at a med-low setting?

I'll have a group 27 battery hooked up. My other usage will be as follows (as per the handy list that davido posted):

1AH - waterpump for 10 minutes run-time
    2AH - LED lights for a few hours
    1AH - CO sensor, Propane detector, smoke detector

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  2. mpking

mpking Active Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    @GreatBigAbyss,

Just to be clear, there are:
    • 12volt compressor Fridges
    • 12volt settings on 3way Fridges
    • 12volt Thermoelectric fridges.
    A 12volt setting on a 3 way fridge would kill your battery in a few hours. They draw around 10 or 11 AMPS, constant!
    The dometic 12V compressor fridge i have is rated for 0.85 Ah/h (at 12V, 41F interior, 90F ambient)
    Themoelectrics draw around 3-4 amps.

MyName likes this.
  3. mpking

mpking Active Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    Try cleaning the burner. It's very simple to do, and fixes the issue around 80% of the time.

Start your own thread, we'll all chip in to help!

4. GreatBigAbyss

Apr 12, 2017
    Manitoba
    Ahh. That's what I suspected.

5. GreatBigAbyss

Apr 12, 2017
    Manitoba
    I was trying to get it lit last year. I'm not sure how it disassembles. I'll tackle it again this spring when it warms up and the snow melts. Will start a new thread at that time. If I can get the propane 3-way fridge working, then it will make dry-camping a whole lot easier.

6. MyName

MyName Member

Jan 12, 2018
  7. xvz12

xvz12 Active Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    My DC outlets are connected to the main DC line coming off the battery, I do have a master disconnect at the battery that shuts all DC power off to keep parasitic drain from depleting my batteries.

I use a BatteryMinder Plus to maintain my batteries, & they happen to be on sale right now:
    https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200332201_200332201

Once I get my solar panels set up (I'm going for a permanent rooftop installation), I shouldn't need the BatteryMinder any longer...I'll let y'all know when I get it set up & running.

8. MyName

MyName Member

Jan 12, 2018
    @xvz12 Thanks for the BatteryMinder plus tip. I just bought it. I would love to see you solar panel set up.

9. xvz12

xvz12 Active Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    I'll post pics when I get them installed......might be a coupe of weeks or so before i can get to them. Now that I've got everything to get them done, it's turned winter around here again.....

10. mrkrag

mrkrag Member

Dec 22, 2017
    Palm Harbor, FL
    Wow, is that all!? I had no idea. Maybe they ARE worth the cost...

11. GreatBigAbyss

Apr 12, 2017
    Manitoba
    I've done a little research, and the NOCO Genius line of chargers/maintainers seem to be the best. They're the type that you can leave plugged in 100% of the time.

12. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

There are plenty of utube videos onthis subject.

13. GreatBigAbyss

Apr 12, 2017
    Manitoba
    Yeah. I checked them out. Nine of them showed the problem I was having. It's almost like the burner tube is filled with insulation. The pilot would light and burn with a large yellow flame, burning the insulation. I don't know what is supposed to there and what isn't

14. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I would start here. &

shuang2 likes this.