Battery test?

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by adrianpglover, Jan 9, 2018.

1. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Ctek makes a good maintainer which is temperature compensated and does have a recon mode. A little pricey when compared to cheap HF chargers
    I will not buy a battery that has sat on a shelf for over 3 months, plates will start forming a soft sulfate in that time

2. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Aug 5, 2010
    5 Star Eagle Camper
    I have a 'Tender' brand that I have on my ATV batt over the winter time. Its a small adapter type that just plugs in the wall, with a skinny cord and a couple of alligator clips. Not sure how much output it has, but barely anything, maybe around 1/2 to 3/4 of an amp. Seems to work ok.

3. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Active Member

Jul 8, 2014
    Texas
    Thanks to all of the advice given here I bought a new battery this month and decided to change my routine when it comes to battery maintenance. For now I'm going to leave the camper unplugged and check the battery every now and then. As it needs it I'll put a float charger on the battery, but I don't trust this charger enough to leave it plugged in all of the time.
    Maybe at some point down the line I'll get a tender or the like, but for now I'll just replace them as needed.