Battery toast?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by silvermickey2002, Sep 3, 2017.

1. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    Ok, I went to pull the battery out of the pup to throw it on the charger when I realized I never
    disconnected it after our Fathers Day trip. I am normally pretty good at making sure I disconnect the battery before putting the pup back in the garage. But I totally forgot to disconnect it this time!!!! So, I hooked it up to the charger and it was at 4% (holy crap!!) after about 30 minutes it is now up to 63% and not moving from there. Is this thing toast or will it just take a long time to charge back to 100%????

2. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Maybe you will get lucky this time. Charge up and check it in the morning.

3. silvermickey2002

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    That's what I'm hoping. I have a Schumacher Speed Charger and when the charging light is blinking is in the desulfacion mode. That what it was doing for about an hour. Now it is a steady light (not-blinking) which indicates it is charging again. Hopefully it comes back to life or I'll end up getting a new battery.

JPBar likes this.
  4. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    You may be OK. I have seen people forget their headlights in the car and the battery came back after a charge.

silvermickey2002 likes this.
  5. silvermickey2002

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    Bad news, it won't charge completely!! Won't go above 63%. So guess I'm gonna replace it :(
    It's between 4-5 years old.

6. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Well that bites!

7. silvermickey2002

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    Totally!!!! Still can't believe I forgot to disconnect it when I put the pup back in the garage in June. Well, now looking to go up to a group 27 battery from a group 24.

8. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    I have always heard "bigger is better". I can pretty much bet you won't forget that again.

9. silvermickey2002

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    Your right, I will not forget again!!!

JPBar likes this.
  10. roybraddy

roybraddy Active Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    Gary - I have nice BATTERY Monitor Panel I made up with inexpensive meter units that monitors DC VOLTAGE and Total DC Current either being pulled from the batteries or what is going into my battery when being charged right inside my door way entrance and can see what the DC VOLTAGE is showing...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Roy's Images

Being most view-able catches my attention every time I walk in and out of my OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer... The only good results I have with my batteries performance wise is try to never let them get below the 12.0VDC level which is approximately the 50% charge state level... This lit up meter panel makes a great night lit too as well but I do have an ON/OFF on the back side of the monitor panel I can gain access to but opening the cabinet door on the front side of this cabinet.

When off-road camping every day/night off my batteries I want to always start with at least a 90% charge state to insure we make it to 8AM the next morning which is usually the allowed time to start up my battery bank re-charge routine at most camping spots we go to using my 2KW Generator running...

I started out with four each GP24 12VDC 85AH Batteries purchased back in 2007. I lost one battery right away because of not watching the battery fluid level close enough and had to stop using my singe mode 13.6VDC Converter/charger unit. After that I replaced my old style converter/charger unit with a modern day multi-mode PD-9260C unit and started always watching my charge state each day with my remaining three GP24 12V Interstate batteries have made it great up to last season when a couple of them finally would not hold their charge all night with just a small DC load...

I am in the process now of upgrading my battery bank to two groups or two each 6V Gulf Cart 225 AH 6V batteries. This will give a good 225AH 12VDC battery bank which will allow me to run even more appliances...

If my batteries ever got down below the 11.5 VDC level I had to quickly get them back up to their 90% or higher charge state right away. Just something I do out of habit now...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

11. Firehawk068

Firehawk068 Member

Mar 22, 2016
    I'm in the same boat. Battery is toast!
    Took our camper to the mountains this past weekend, and when we arrived to set up it barely had enough juice to raise the roof. (And that was with my Jeep hooked up to it)
    During the day, with the solar panel hooked up, the battery meter would read 13.5 volts. As soon as the sun went down it would drop to around 11 with just the CO detector drawing power.
    Forget abour running the furnace. It didnt have enough juice to run the ignitor and the fan at the same time. It would drop to 9.5 volts if we tried to turn the furnace on.
    Luckily we have good mattresses and lots of warm blankets cause it got down to the low 30's.
    This week after taking the battery off the camper and into the garage.
    Checked the fluid level and it was full, all 6 cells.
    Hooked up my automatic charger/maintainer and left it on overnight.
    The next day it said it was charged. I checked the volts(13 volts)
    Let the battery sit by itself for a couple hours and check the voltage again (down to 11.5 volts)
    This one is a group-27 Interstate DC that is 4 years old.
    I'm buying a new Group-29 tomorrow. (My battery box has more room in it if I need it)
    I want to switch to (2) Golf Cart 6-volt batteries, but that's not in the budget this year.
    IMG_9386.JPG
    One thing that surprised me, is this battery only lists 160 minutes of reserve capacity (I think they calculate this at 25 amps)
    The new one has 210 minutes.

12. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

4-5 years is about the life you can expect from a battery. You just pushed it over the edge a bit earlier than it would have gone naturally. No big deal.

13. silvermickey2002

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    I'll prob go up to a group 27. It is only 5 lbs heavier and will fit in the same battery box the group 24 is in now. It has some room in there to fit the grp 27.

14. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
    new batteries need a FULL charge before use!

I'd figure a way to be on solar in storage.

15. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    No power in the garage so you can plug in? I keep mine plugged in while in storage.

16. silvermickey2002

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    Yes we have power in there, but I never plug the pup in. If I remembered to disconnect the battery I wouldn't be in this situation!! :oops:

17. TRR

TRR Active Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Alabama USA
    Hmmm. I've had cinnamon toast, cheese toast, and jelly toast. Wonder what battery toast tastes like.

Probably too acidic.

silvermickey2002 likes this.