battery winter storage?

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by lkc, Dec 4, 2017.

1. lkc

lkc Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Colorado
    Hello all--not quite sure where to post this

Where do you store your battery for winter?

I purchased a battery tender and was planning on taking the battery off the pup and putting the battery up on a workbench in the garage for winter. It is not a heated garage. I store my pup outside.

Don't really have a place in the house to move it to because I don't have a basement, except for the crawl space and the crawl space does not have a plug in for the battery tender and it would be a real pain to get it into the crawl space anyway.

Does it get to cold in the garage to do this? Live in Colorado where we get very cold, windy & snowy sometimes in the winter:)

Thanks for any input!

2. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Eastern Idaho
    I pull both batteries and place them on the concrete floor in the garage and connect them to a Battery minder and that is where they have sat, every winter, for about 6 years and they were still going strong in the fall before storing them.
    As long as the batteries are charged, they will be ok.

And yes, we get probably just as cold as in CO and I do not have a heated garage.

JPBar likes this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I don't have a garage or basement myself so just made room on my bookshelf in the house for the battery and charger. In your case if your garage gets down to freezing then you may be stuck doing what I do. However if your garage does not fall below freezing I think it would be OK. I'm not sure though what that magic number is though for battery efficiency.

4. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    X2^^^^^ is what I do like f5moab does, no issues and battery is 4 years old

f5moab likes this.
  5. f5moab

May 7, 2013
    Eastern Idaho
    Primarily, a fully charged lead acid battery will not freeze until it gets below -60F. Even a fully discharged battery will not freeze even when dropping below 32F. The Sulfuric acid drops the freezing point.

The battery tender will keep it fully charged while connected; regardless of the temps.
    I know if my garage drops below -60F in the winter, I'm packing up and moving to the equator.:eek:

6. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

May 17, 2014
    Here in Boulder I used to take the batts out and store them in the unheated garage on top of two strips of 1 x 2, with the C-Tek charger attached full time. I checked electrolyte level several times through the storage period. This pair was bought in Fall 2012, were going strong during October deer hunt.

This year I am trying something different- leaving them on the trailer with a 1.8 watt solar charger attached. Will see what the battery tester at O'Reilly Auto Parts says next April.

7. michaeltdyer

michaeltdyer Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Denver Colorado
    I am in Denver and my battery is on the shelf in my unheated garage with a battery tender connected to it. It's a Walmart RV battery and it is still going strong after five years.

8. lkc

lkc Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Colorado
    Thanks all! I'm going to do the battery on a workbench on a battery tender--I wasn't looking forward to lugging the 40 lbs of battery into the house anyway (at least it feels like 40 lbs)

. . . . and I'm with you f5moab--if it gets to -60 i'm moving to the equator--& I am not a heat lover!! haha

9. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I leave the batteries in my TT and just plug it in for a few hours very month or so.

I pull the battery out of my boat, charge it and put it in my basement. Once or twice during storage I will put a charger in it. My last battery lasted 10 years.

10. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I leave the battery in my TT and my boat in the Unit, the TT stays plugged in and the boat battery has a battery minder hooked up to it. We do not have the weather you typically have up north.

11. nhlakes

nhlakes Active Member

Oct 15, 2011
    DE and NH
    I stopped pulling batteries years ago. I used to pull batteries and store them in the basement on wood and occasionally charge, but I started leaving them in because I have too many toys with batteries got lazy. I have honestly not noticed any real difference. My current fishing boat has 4 batteries and is in an unheated attached garage. I care more about those batteries (2 are crazy expensive huge industrial deep cycles that the prior owner installed). I charge them all periodically. The camper battery is on a solar trickle. Since I camp more in the winter than the summer, I'll charge it occasionally as well.

12. f5moab

May 7, 2013
    Eastern Idaho
    Another thing is that lead acid batteries (at least modern ones in the past 20 years or so) do not have to be stored on wood and can be store directly on concrete with no problems. Years ago, lead acid batteries were made with rubber/tar and developed cracks and when left on concrete they would discharge through the cracks to the concrete. Batteries have been made with plastic casings for many years no and do not discharge on concrete; unless they develop a crack, and then they will also leak all over.

13. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Active Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Every year I store most of my batteries in the basement of the house. In past years, I would check them periodically over the winter and give them a full charge sometime in February. This year I have float chargers on all of them for the entire winter. There are five batteries total in the basement.

The only battery I never bring in the basement is the boat's starter battery. The boat is stored in the garage and I like to leave it in the boat so that I can lift the motor if I have to move the boat. I also have a float charger on that battery.

This is my first year with the float chargers so I'll see how it goes.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  14. xvz12

xvz12 Active Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    My pup batteries are residing in their battery boxes on the hitch tongue for the winter, with a battery minder hooked up to them.....when I happen to pass by the pup, once in a while I'll stop, press the button I installed on one of the boxes, & check the reading on the waterproof voltmeter I also installed. I don't expect any issues.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  15. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    Mine are also staying on the PUp for the Winter with a Solar Panel to keep them charged and ready for my twice monthly camping trips. Unless there’s more than a few inches of snow on the ground or it’s below 10 degrees, I plan on camping! [:D]

16. drosengrant

drosengrant One Day at a Time

Jun 14, 2008
    Mine Hill NJ
    I keep mine on the camper in the driveway and the camper is plugged into the house. Been doing this since I bought the camper in 2008 used. I am on my second battery and the first one came with the camper. The current battery is now 5+ years old. Just have to remember to move the power cord when I use the snow blower. Ask me how I know this [:D]. This method works for me.

17. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    I pull the battery out and put it in the basement. Once a month I will pull it up and throw it on the charger. I don't have a batt tender.

xxxapache likes this.
  18. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    BaysideJim likes this.
  19. xvz12

xvz12 Active Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
  20. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    I also left my three GP24 batteries on the POPUP Tongue here on Northern neck Virginia country and completely disconnected the POSITIVE terminal from everything using my BLUE SEA Switching procedures.. I would monitor their DC Voltage levels while they were sitting over the winter months and if they got below 12.4-5 VDC I would do a trickle charge. Later on I just left a small 10-watt Solar Panel feeding them when in high sun.

If I was seeing a high charging period I would also always check the batteries fluid level... My batteries did not like to sit for many days with a 13.6VDC Charge state otherwise they would start boiling out their fluids.

My three 85AH Batteries just sitting in their battery boxes completely disconnected over the winter months would for the most part only drop down to around 12.4-5VDC in the 2-3 month period under ZERO load.

[​IMG]

They seem to do just fine in the some 7 years I was doing this. The three GP24 85AH Deep Cycle Interstate batteries finally gave up the ghost last season and will show a good charge state but will not hold their charge very long... I spent many a camping trips using my three 85AH batteries in parallel getting drained at a 23-25AMP DC drain from 4PM to 10PM each evening dropping them to their 12.0VDC state (APPX 50% charge state) and then being re-charged back up to their 90% charge state the next morning at 8AM when I was usually allowed to run my 2KW Generator for a three hour generator run time. I could do around 10-12 of these 50% to 90% charge states without doing damage to the performance of my batteries. After each 5-10 days camping trips doing this I would then do a slow full 100% charge state re-charge when I got back home from the trips. This would usually take over 12-14 hours of being charged (sometimes longer) using my smart mode charger setup.

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]