battery winter storage?

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by lkc, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Minnesota
  2. davido

davido Active Member

Jul 17, 2014
    I keep my batteries on the trailer, and rely on the converter to keep them maintained. I have verified the voltage and current levels are reasonable for floating at a maintain level. I used to check the water level monthly, but it's so stable that once per quarter is enough to verify nothing has changed.

Really the only reason I would remove my batteries in the winter is if I were concerned of a potential for theft.

I do live in a climate where the winter lows can drop into the teens regularly, and even below zero on occasion (fahrenheit). Freezing should never be an issue in the contiguous 48 states if the batteries are kept topped off.

If your trailer's converter / charger isn't of adequate quality to provide a low maintenance current then it would make sense to either remove the batteries and put them on a Tender, or connect a Tender to them while still installed on the trailer.

3. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    We store the pup in our garage, but I do not want to keep it plugged in all winter. Not sure I want to keep the converter plugged in all the time when I can just purchase a battery tender.

4. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Iowa
    My pup is stored in a lot with no access to power so I brought the batteries into my basement and connected them in parallel with the boat batteries (using some cheap battery cables I got at walmart) and attached a trickle charger to them.
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4MKDSE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have the negative charging clip on the battery furthest away in the chain from the battery with the positive charging clip.

[​IMG]

5. crackerJack

crackerJack Active Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Scottsville, KY
  6. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    Thanks CrackerJack!