Bearing Buddys on a Flagstaff 206ltd anyone?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by MIke Ingram, Apr 2, 2018.

1. MIke Ingram

MIke Ingram New Member

Mar 27, 2017
    Sioux City, Iowa
    Anyone done this? any opinions?

2. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Most dont like the Bearing Buddy because they dont get the grease to the rear bearing.

3. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I have had them on brakeless trailers for 25+ years. No issues.

4. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    There are many threads about them. Do a search for "Bearing Buddies".

5. MIke Ingram

MIke Ingram New Member

Mar 27, 2017
    Sioux City, Iowa
    Ya, sorry was looking specific to my p'up. It may have sealed axles for all I know. I've had it a week and don't know all. Put them on my 01 coleman but then sold before i realized any benefit.

6. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    They won't hurt at all, but would be more helpful on a boat trailer (in my opinion)... Bearing buddies help get fresh grease in, but that doesn't take the place of actually cleaning and repacking wheel bearings...

7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Depending on what axle you have (manufacturer ) it may have EZ-Lube hubs on it..

8. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Southwest PA
    Bearing buddies have no benefit whatsoever on a trailer that never sees a boat ramp. All they do is maintain a slight positive pressure on the hub cavity in an attempt to keep water out. There is no benefit other than that to maintaining pressure in the hub cavity, so if you're not planning on bass fishing with your popup, a waste of money and time.

EZ lube is a different arrangement and is sure to start a forum brewhahahaha. I use the EZ lube and that's all I'll say about it.

WrkrBee and Snow like this.
  9. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
  10. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    I believe the MAC LTD line did not have easy lube system (either EZ or Ultra).
    I would think if bearing buddies was to be installed it would still require disassembly of the hub and bearings to make sure and to replace if needed, the back seal with a double lip design as bearing buddy requires.
    At that point, might as well just do a bearing repack every three or four years.

11. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

May 21, 2015
    You most likely have an EZlube, or similar axle, which makes bearing buddies obsolete. If you have a rubber dust cap or dust cap center on your wheel spindle pull it off and you should see grease zerk underneath. Consult your manual for the proper procedure for lubrication using the grease zerk.

12. f5moab

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    Per Flagstaff, LTD does not have easy lube axles.
    But just in case....
    Remove the rubber plug from the center of the hub
    [​IMG]

Look for zerk
    [​IMG]

13. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    I sold a 2010 MAC LTD that I purchased new. and it DID have the easy lube axle. The plugs had rotted and I had to replace them before I sold it.

14. f5moab

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    I guess that is FR's way of cheapening their trailers. The 2012 brochure I have and the 2016 I found online note that the LTD did not have the easy lube axles.

15. Old_Geezer

Sep 29, 2009
    Southwest PA
    Exactly......they want to keep the price the same but add more ooooh and ahhhh features you see like useless cheap LED light strips and other cheap Chinese junk. On the Roo's they went to plywood floors. Its debatable why. Because they were having problems with the laminated floors? I say because they could save the cost of manufacture and now give you generic solid surface counters, but only for the main counters and not the other small counters on nightstand cabs and such. 5 sheets of 5/8 plywood is about $100, and 10 minutes to lay down. A laminated floor uses more materials between the 5 sheets of 8mm ply, the under layer luan and aluminum sub structure and foam, requires substantially more labor and time to assemble, and use of a vacuum press.

16. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Active Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    Be careful with the EZ Lube system. It can cause seal and brake issues, if the hub is completely filled with grease. There post on the Portal and search EZ Lube axle issues on the internet.

17. Old_Geezer

Sep 29, 2009
    Southwest PA
    The hub needs to be completely filled with grease in order for EZ lube to do what it does. I have used it on 3 different hybrids and a popup as well as quite a few flats and box trailers, and have yet to see any grease push past the rear seal. I am of the opinion that what you read in RV and camping forums about seal failures and contaminated brakes are due to a host of reasons the least of which is the design. Cheap single lip seals from the factory, such as with Lippert axles. Too much pressure when pumping in the grease, too cold, etc (user error).