Bed rail for couch bed

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by MaeKay, Feb 21, 2018.

1. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Any recommendations for a bed rail for the couch on our 2007 Fleetwood Bayside? It seems plenty big for our 3 year old to sleep on but not quite wide enough that she wouldn’t fall out while wiggling in her sleep. See the floor plan attached. It’s the couch along the back bunk.

I’d also like to use it on her bed at home as she just moved up two nights ago to a big girl bed. Right now we have her toddler mattress on the floor and a pillow blocking the sharp corner of her nightstand. It doesn’t have a box spring, just wood slats underneath the mattress.

Any recommendations? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Seen one made out of pvc tubing, that slides between the matress and a board under the matress.. A google search should turn it up for you..

MaeKay likes this.
  3. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

I use on that flips up and locks like a baby gate which i got from some RV show. i son even uses it now as it gives him some privacy.

MaeKay likes this.
  4. erich82

erich82 Active Member

She is 3. No big deal if she falls. If you want to be cautious though, they make inflatable bed rails that just slide under the sheets, which we have used on our daughter, who is now 11 months and sleeping in a regular bed (not high).

Edit: just realized the age of this thread lol

5. Goldievirtuoso

Goldievirtuoso New Member

For our son, when he was an infant we just brought his pack n play with us and he slept in that on the folded down dinette. As he has gotten older he sleeps on the other bunkend. We place a foam pool noodle under the sheets to act as a barrier to keep him from falling off the bed. It has kept our little wiggle worm in bed!

Muller 5 and NothingsChocking like this.
  6. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Haha, no worries on the age of the thread. The reason I wanted the bed rail is because she moves a lot and the couch part was narrow. The dog crate ended up going on the couch and she slept on the dinette bed without need for a bed rail because it was big enough. We ended up trading up to a travel trailer and the first couple nights we used the seat back cushions to keep her in the bunk (she did fall out once, but it wasn't too traumatic, just some whimpering). Sleeping arangements are tricky with this child because she doesn't sleep well or fall asleep easily. But a trailer made all the difference.

7. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

I heard about the pool noodle trick! We transitioned her to a "big girl" bed in January last year so for love or money we could not find a pool noodle. But I took that idea and just rolled up her comforter that she never used and stuck it under the sheet. Worked like a charm!

8. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Ugg. My 6 year old fell out of the top bunk in our travel trailer this last week and split his eyebrow open in the middle of the night. (After cleaning it up and a popsicle he was fine thankfully...he'll probably have a nice scar, though.) Now I actually DO need a good, short, SECURE bed rail for him. At home he sleeps in a bunk bed with high sides and has gotten used to wedging his head securely in the corner.

9. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Snow, I think this idea might work great. Even I can come up with a plan that will fit the narrow opening of the bunk (maybe 30-36" wide) but will be secure. (Since having kids my brain doesn't focus well enough to often come up with workable plans but I'm decent at PVC crafting!) Thanks again!

10. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

11. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

12. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Possibly but most of that type of rail is wider than our opening. And our thrift store never has those (Utah has the highest birth rate in the nation...so most of the kid stuff is picked clean quickly). But I will look on our classified ads to see if there is a narrow one.

Sjm9911 likes this.